55. Descent

AUTHOR'S POV:

.
.
.

Bertolt watched Reiner sip from his hot cup of coffee.

They were on Wall Maria, a small fire burning before them.

"I already told you Annie is doing fine." Zeke said, sitting across from them. "I'm sure. There's no way she's getting tortured. For starters, don't you think that's unlikely? With powers like ours, one scratch and we can pretty much handle anything." He reached up to scratch his ear. "And remember, it's Annie we're talking about here. I bet she's in hiding somewhere practicing her kicks and whatnot."

"Still," Reiner said, "there's no mistaking her identity was revealed."

"Even if it's Annie..." Bertolt looked down.

"Oh? Does this mean you're not fully committed yet?" Zeke asked them flatly, no sympathy in his demeanor. "Is that right? And what about the agreement we came to? Was that all for nothing? We can go at it again if you want, Reiner. But the next time you lose, you give up your armor to another warrior.

"N-No, that's not what I meant." Reiner replied.

"Then pull yourself together," Zeke said to Reiner. "We only have one goal. To recover the Coordinate and put an end to this cursed history. Let's... end this. I want to end all this, with us." he said almost tiredly.

"Understood," Bertolt replied. "I'll try to keep Annie out of my head for now. There's no need to put anyone else through this hell but us. Let's end this."

"Bertolt..." Reiner trailed off, staring at him.

"War Chief Zeke." A garbled up voice said and the three immediately ran to peek over the edge. "Enemy troops are approaching." the Cart Titan reported. Two barrels and several crates were on her back. "They've reached the foot."
.
.

"My brave warriors." Zeke said and clinked his mug with theirs. "It's time to settle this here and finish our mission once and for all." Standing together, the three took sips of their coffee. "Hot!" Zeke flinched, bringing his hand to his mouth.
.
.

The sun began to rise over the horizon.

Reiner knocked off the pot and the three mugs. "Let's go!"

"Yeah. Let's go." Bertolt said and followed him as he started to move quickly.

"Bertolt, I've told you a bunch of times, but... You and I will be in separate positions. So try thinking on your own for once." Reiner said.

"R-Right." Bertolt replied.

"You don't always have to wait for my signal." Reiner said.

"Yeah, I know." Bertolt replied.

"You're supposed to be the one with the greatest ability of all, yet you leave it to others when it matters. To be honest, I never thought you reliable." Reiner said.

"I know." Bertolt replied.

"Up until now. We're ending this here, right?" Reiner said.

"That's right," Bertolt replied. "We're gonna win and end this."

Reiner smiled at him. "Keep up that attitude till you're with your beloved Annie." He stopped and faced Bertolt.

"I-It's not like that..." Bertolt said.

"I bet even Annie would appreciate the one who rushes in to save her... and mistake him for her prince." Reiner's words were making him blush. "Even if it's you. And Christa... We'll save her no matter what." He brought up his fist, tapping his breast pocket. "That's our promise to Ymir."