13. Response

AUTHOR'S POV:

"I'll ask one more time! Just what are you really?!" Weilman screamed.

"I'm human!" Eren yelled back.

Armin, Mikasa and Faye watched, tension clear on their faces.

"I see." Weilman's arm began to rise. "Don't take this personally."

On the other side of the Wall, things were different.

"Marco, I can't do this anymore. I can't fight Titans anymore!" Daz cried.

"What's gotten into you?" Marco questioned.

"My friends got eaten right in front of me! My friends got killed, yet I didn't feel any sadness or hate at all!"

A few feet over, Sasha was just listening to him without eating.

"Deep down, I just felt glad it wasn't me!" Daz said. "But it's my turn next." Daz clutched his head. "I've realized what our job is! It's basically fighting and fighting until we eventually get eaten!"

A cart with five injured and mutilated soldiers was passing by on the street.

"Well, screw that!" He reached for his blade. "I'd rather end things-"

"Stop!" Marco said and grabbed him. "Pull yourself together! You aren't the only one, you know! We're all fighting back fear! Just look at Sasha! Even after what she went through, she's still an upstanding soldier!"

Sasha cried out suddenly. "Um, my stomach hurts. Could you please consider me one of the wounded?"

Daz tried to pull out his sword again. "I can't go on!"

"Stop! Stop it!"

Jean, Reiner, Bert, and Annie were silent. After a few moments, Jean spoke up.

"That gag order is definitely warranted. With the way things are if they found out about Eren..."

An explosive sound came from the other side of Wall Rose, startling the soldiers.

"Cannon fire?" Jean said, looking around. "Why only one shot?!"

"Look over there! Smoke! It's inside the Wall!" A soldier said, pointing towards the smoke.

"Hey! What's happening?!"

"What's going on?!"

"Did they break through the water gate?!"

"Impossible! That's the sturdiest place of all!"

"They must've just set off a shell by accident!"

"Still, why's there so much smoke?!"

'No way. Is it Titan steam?' Jean wondered.

Reiner was shocked and horrified. He took out his blades. Then he immediately took off on his 3D gear and went towards the smoke, followed by Annie and Bert. Jean went after them.
.
.

Steam was emitting from Eren's partial titan body, covering everything. Armin shook while Mikasa and Faye were looking at their surroundings.

The Garrisons were watching the scene with horrified look on their faces. Jean, Annie, Reiner, and Bert gaped at the scene from a rooftop in the distance.

"What the hell's going on here?" Reiner said.
.

Mikasa quickly got out of her trance and gripped her blade. Faye did the same too.

The sound of cracking bones finally snapped Armin out of his trance. He looked up, seeing the massive head swaying through the ribcage.

"It's alive!" One soilder shouted.