Prompt

July 2024

A middle-aged woman with an intimidating stare awaited in front of the multi-billion dollar building scouting her surroundings fiercely. Her dark brown hair was pulled back into a ponytail and her black shirt and jeans no doubtedly worked against her on that warm summers day. Her hands cupped behind her back, stiffening her posture to hide her nerves that were visibly showing. 

Around her, dozens of people were entering and exiting the building not bothering her a glance. But everyone could visibly notice her nerves. Her gaze glanced around every few seconds, awaiting for something or someone before anxiously checking her watch to see how late it was getting.

It may have been midday but in her eyes, she was going to be late.

A white sedan sped around the corner and the woman glanced up seeing the visitors arrive, letting out a visible sigh of relief. The car jolted to a stop in front of her and the engine quickly shut off before the doors flew open.

"You're both late." The woman glared as the driver and passenger scrambled out of the car in a hurry.

Jocelyn slammed the passenger door and glanced at the driver with a subtle glare. "You can blame Dad. He refused to leave the house without his cologne." Jocelyn revealed aloud with annoyance in her tone. Her black converse hit the ground each step she took closer to the woman, matching her black bomber jacket that was oversized for her petite frame. It covered her grey graphic t-shirt and her dark denim ripped shorts.

Dave was quick to shut his door and walk around the car to the woman and Jocelyn's side. "She's lying, Larissa." He denied, giving Jocelyn a small glare when he placed a hand on Larissa's lower back. "You know what teenagers are like. Always forgetting something" Dave appointed the blame.

Jocelyn rolled her eyes at the comment.

Larissa smiled faintly, admiring the fun father-daugher relationship between the two. "Well, that is too bad. Because the cologne is definitely justified." Larissa grinned, turning to Dave and biting her bottom lip subtly.

Dave glanced at Larissa and copied her grin, gazing deeply in her eyes.

Jocelyn noticed and scrunched her nose in disgust. The couple somehow seemed to forget she was in front of them and started visibly undressing another in front of her.

"Ahem, can we get going? I don't want to be late." Jocelyn admitted, glancing between the two adults disgusted.

Larissa glanced back at Jocelyn and her smile softened into a caring one. "Me neither. Let's head in before they send a search party." Jocelyn's gave a small nod in agreement. 

Dave smiled at his two girls conversing before he guided Larissa towards the building using his hand that rested on her lower back. Jocelyn followed beside her dad, eager to race through the building and to the office where she was supposed to be five minutes ago.

Another man was exiting the building and noticed the three approaching the door. He held open the glass door for them to enter, in a kindly matter.

The three all thanked the stranger and walked through, stepping into the lobby. The lobby had high dark metal walls and multiple large rectangular windows that allowed sunlight in. There were a few red couches and chairs aside the lobby, giving it a welcoming presence. But everyone who entered the lobby was busy rushing through it, having no time to enjoy the furniture or decor. 

But the thing that caught Jocelyn's eye every time stepping into the compound, was a large metal circular logo with a falcon inside of a ring. The logo represented the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division, or better known as S.H.I.E.L.D.