- 22.0 -

- Thursday -
(Be My Baby - The Ronettes)

When morning came the sun casted a hue through the trees illuminating across the Midtown's campsite. The birds began singing their morning songs, the squirrels were busy collecting acorns for their young, and Mr. Harrington awoke with strange suspicion. He woke up to an unusually quiet campsite and his teacher intuition told him that something was off. But he didn't know what that was. 

The entire morning, he was on edge. Something was wrong, missing, or wrong about the campsite. But he couldn't seem to figure out what.

Once students began wake up and emerging from their tents, Mr. Harrington decided to take attendance. Maybe that was the issue that made him uneasy.

But once he called Jocelyn and Peter's names, their five friends were quick to come up with excuses. They were quick to come up with a new lie when Mr. Harrington asked about their whereabouts for the entire morning. Lying that they were in the showers, taking a walk, or at the telephone at the front desk to call their parents. Whatever they could think of, they said trying to waste time for their friends.

But Mr. Harrington's schedule had other plans. Today was the day of their group hike which was mandatory to attend. They were planning to leave within the next hour but Mr. Harrington refused to leave without all students present. Meaning they were currently all waiting on Jocelyn and Peter.

Which made Alex, Mary Jane, and Michelle freak out.

"Do we go get them?" Alex whispered to Mary Jane within the small trio. Her red hair was braided in two pigtails and red sunglasses hiding her worried eyes. A backpack rested on her shoulders, just as prepared and anxious as her other two friends.

Mary Jane shook her head glancing over her shoulder towards Mr. Harrington across the campsite who was shouting at students to apply another layer of sun screen and bug spray. A sigh escaped her lips seeing he was distracted for a while longer for Mr. Harrington to question their whereabouts again.

 "No, we can't ruin their moment." Mary Jane whispered back.  

Michelle crossed her arms stubbornly. "Those losers had all evening to have their moment. I'm sure they won't be mad if we cut it short."

Mary Jane groaned. "I have waited far too long for Joter to happen. I am not letting anything ruin their perfect moment." Her gaze warned Michelle threateningly.

"Okay, okay. We need make a plan because I don't think Mr. Harrington will buy the whole 'they are in the restroom' again." Alex taking control of the situation, glancing between her friends.

Michelle shot a glare to Alex. "What do you advise then?"

"Well, I-"

"We have a plan." A fourth voice interrupted them from behind Alex. The three girls turned to face the two grinning boys with a mischievous twinkle in their eye. Michelle muttered something under her breath and Mary Jane let out a thankful sigh. But Alex wasn't as convinced, narrowing her eyes on Ned and Lucas.

"What did you two idiots do?" Alex glanced between the boys.

Lucas and Ned stopped in front of Alex, sharing a cunning glance. "Just to clarify, this wasn't my idea." Lucas added on looking back at Alex.

"That doesn't reassure me." Alex glared.

"We caused a distraction to Mr. Harrington that will buy us time to find Jocie and Peter. By the time we get them back, everything should be fixed here." Ned beamed placing his hands on his hips proudly.