- 18.0 -

Sunday
(Uptown Girl - Billy Joel)

The week long get-away to Lake Hideaway began today. The dozen of students all attending on the trip were up at the crack of dawn to finalize packing, running to the store to grab last-minute necessities, and double-check they had everything. Excitement and adrenaline ran through them, all strangely excited to spend the week without technology and adults. Other than Mr. Harrington, of course.

Jocelyn was the first one awake in the small apartment, first one to finish her breakfast, and first one to the car. Her excitement annoyed Ellie who thought it was far too early, regardless that it was barely past ten in the morning. But in her opinion, anything before noon was too early.

Dave was excited to see his daughter so excited. What he didn't understand was why Jocelyn was more excited for a trip an hour away compared to a trip to Europe. But he suspected Mr. Parker had something to do with it.

Which is why, on this hour and sixteen minute drive to Lake Hideaway, he would be laying some "ground rules."

The Evan's family and Larissa has been on the road for almost an hour. Ellie has been sleeping in the back seat next to Jocelyn, snoring lightly while listening to some pop music through her earbuds that was way too loud and heard throughout the car regardless of the radio on in the front. Jocelyn hadn't been able to sleep from pure excitement. Her knee was bouncing eagerly and her lips trapped between her teeth, trying to contain her smile. Her eyes watched the trees pass by, recognizing them from the dozens of time her family went to the same campground years ago.

Dave glanced through his rearview mirror towards Jocelyn. He drummed his fingers on the steering wheel anxiously of having a talk with Jocelyn. He had delayed this talk long enough and he knew he had to say something now. He cleared his throat deeply and Larissa looked up from the book on her phone to him. The teenager in the backseat, though, was still preoccupied staring at trees.

"So, Jocelyn." Dave finally caught her attention. Her eyes turned ahead and her smile widened, showing her excitement. "Lake Hideaway won't have any cell phone reception so I won't be able to contact you. Which is why I need to make sure you know a few rules, now." He explained darting his gaze from the mirror to the road ahead.

Jocelyn's eyes scrunched together. "Rules?"

Dave hummed and heard Larissa sigh beside him with a faint grin on her lips. "Rules." He repeated. "Like, rule number one: no going into the forest alone." He stated.

Jocelyn rolled her eyes at the comment. "Dad, I think I can handle myself." She stated raising her left wrist to show off her bracelet that Mr. Stark gifted her. But the glare shot at her through the mirror implied otherwise. Sighing in defeat, she nodded reluctantly. "Fine. I won't go in the forest alone." She obeyed.

Dave nodded. "Rule number two: you are not allowed to be alone with Peter at any time."

Jocelyn frowned. "But why?" She complained annoyed by these absurd rules.

"Because I said so." Dave snapped back, glaring at her through the mirror.

"If I may interject," Larissa cleared her throat. She looked at Dave trying to hide her amusement. "What if Jocelyn has to go in the forest and Peter is the only person nearby?" She questioned. Dave turned his glare to Larissa for finding a loophole in his rules and she chuckled at his response. "Dave, let her have some fun. This is supposed to be a school trip with no responsibilities or rules. I'm pretty sure a girl who singlehandedly took on Hydra, saved the world, and can take down a hundred of soldiers on her own can handle being in the forest for a week."