- 18.5 -

(Cigarette Daydream - Cage the Elephant)

The crackling of the fire and the crickets chirping in the distance set the mood over the campground that evening. The moon shone over the campsite that was filled with a dozen of Midtown students. Some of them were talking between another and others were melting into their gooey s'mores they previously made. Tonight was the first night of their week-long getaway from all responsibilities.

For many, this was their third attempt of a school trip. But they had high hopes. After all, the third time is the charm.

Mr. Harrington stepped out his tent and approached the students sitting around the fire on blankets or logs. A smile formed seeing them all appear to be relaxed and happy. Their parents left hours ago and he was fortunate to deal with crying parents rather than crying teenagers. 

"Alright, everyone!" Mr. Harrington spoke up to gain the students attention. Jocelyn and Mary Jane was sitting on a blanket in front of Alex and Michelle who was sitting on a log behind them. The four girls stopped talking to look at their teacher approaching holding a piece of paper. "This week is supposed to be a break but it is also supposed to be a team-building experience." 

Alex's hands raised quickly.

Mr. Harrington noticed the hand and looked over to the girl. "Yes, Alex?"

"Yeah, so, since I wasn't on the Decathlon team, I don't have to do that stuff. Right?" Alex asked with an innocent smile.

Mr. Harrington shook his head. "Well, Alex. You signed the papers to be on this Decathlon team-building trip. So yes, you will have to participate." He clarified. Alex huffed in response and looked back at the fire tiredly.

Ned raised his hand after, sitting next to Peter who was on the log beside Michelle. Mr. Harrington sighed seeing another hand. "Yes, Ned?" He asked tiredly.

Ned lowered his hand slowly glancing at the other students around the fire. "Um, why are we doing a team-building trip when majority of us are going to college in the fall...?" A few other students nodded in agreement and glanced at the teacher for an explanation.

Mr. Harrington fixed his glasses on his nose. "This trip was supposed to happen a while ago but due to circumstances, it had to be delayed. So, I guess see this as a senior-fairwell party instead." He shrugged and raised his paper back up in front of his face.

Jocelyn's hand raised and Mr. Harrington sighed tiredly, unsure if he would ever get to continue. 

"Yes, Jocelyn?"

Jocelyn hummed and lowered her hand into her lap. "What is the paper for?" She eyed the paper in his hands.

Mr. Harrington smiled widely at her question. "Wonderful question, Jocelyn. This is an itinerary for the next week."

"Isn't this supposed to be a vacation?" Lucas interrupted from the other side of the fire next to Abe, poking the fire with a stick he "found" behind him. 

Mr. Harrington shook his head. "Team-building trip." He corrected and Lucas continued poking at the fire disinterested. "Each day we will be doing something that requires team-building. Tomorrow, we will be going to the lake to get to know one another. Tuesday, we will be doing a competitive scavenger hunt. Wednesday will be a spare day. Thursday we will all go on a hike. Friday, we will spend back at the lake. And Saturday will be spent packing. Any questions?"

Alex raised her hand, again.

"Yes, Alex?"

"Are we all required to attend all of these?" She repeated her question.