-3.0-

The next few days in Queens, New York went by rather quickly. Once the weekend came, every student at Midtown was spending every passing second studying for their exams that started on the following Monday. Dozens of studying groups were formed, multiple all-nighters were pulled, and hundreds cups of coffees were consumed. 

But when Monday came, all the students were ready for their exams.

The exams took place in the school gymnasium with hundreds of desks set up a meter between them. Each exam took an hour and took up the whole day. By the end of the Monday, the gym reeked of anxiety and tears. But the first of the few exam days came to a conclude.

To celebrate all of their first exams, a group of students met at their local diner to share victory milkshakes. Sitting in the circular booth was eight students, crammed shoulder-to-shoulder beside another, arguing over their answers on the test. The friend group consisted of Abe, Lucas, Jocelyn, Michelle, Betty, Mary Jane, and Brad. Their constant rambling filled the quiet diner, previously scaring away all the other tables from their loud conversation. 

"The answer wasn't mantle. It was crust." Betty argued back, stirring her strawberry milkshake with her straw. Mary Jane nodded in agreement from her side and Michelle stabbed her vanilla milkshake with her straw uninterested, sitting on Betty's other side.

Abe shook his head from the other side of the booth. "Nah-uh. The line was clearly pointing to the mantle." He debated with his arms crossed.

Lucas chuckled sitting next to Abe with his arm draped around Jocelyn's shoulder, who was inhaling her vanilla milkshake in her hands lovingly while leaning into his side. "If only our expensive and private school could afford better printers, we wouldn't be having this debate." He added.

Jocelyn nodded and stopped sipping her drink, to raise it in the air. "Cheers to that." She added earning a small laugh from her friends. The door of the diner rang, informing that their were new customers. The students were to absorbed in their debate to care who walked in the small diner.

"What did you guys put for parts of brain linked to memory?" Mary Jane asked sweetly, glancing around the table for contribution.

Jocelyn placed her milkshake on the table and crossed her arms, warming them up in her arms from the cool glass. "Amygdala, hippocampus, cerebellum, and the frontal cortex." She stated.

"A-actually it's the prefrontal cortex..." Peter spoke up from the head of the table.

Hearing the familiar voice, Jocelyn head whipped to the front of the table seeing the brunette boy wearing a classic science pun shirt hidden by a navy flannel. Everyone glanced over at the boy, finding Peter standing there with a nervous smile when his eyes connected with a shocked Jocelyn. A breath got stuck in Jocelyn's throat, feeling an explosion of emotions when her eyes locked with Peter. Lucas grip around her shoulder pulled her closer, sending a subtle glare to the nerdy brunette. 

Standing at beside Peter was Ned with a usual warm smile seeming clueless to his best friend staring at Jocelyn and the glare Lucas was shooting Peter. Everyone was clueless to the growing tension between the three, except Mary Jane who knows everything that happened between them. 

"You guys made it!" Abe grinned excitedly. "Sit! Sit!" He slid over closer to Lucas, forcing everyone else to move over for the two friends. On the other end of the table, Brad slid closer to Mary Jane, overall squishing Michelle in the middle between Jocelyn and Cindy who was not amused with the sitting plan.

Ned happily took the place beside Abe and Peter shyly dropped his gaze from Jocelyn, sliding in next to Brad who smiled welcoming to the two boys. Mary Jane glanced at her best friend in shock at the boys appearance, finding Jocelyn slumped in her seat with flushed cheeks staring at her milkshake with interest.