- 11.0 -

"Dad, I told you many times already, I'm fine." Jocelyn groaned over the phone, laying back on her hotel bed staring at her roof exhausted. Her body was aching from the mission and being poked and probed at my Maria Hill, who was trying to find an explanation of why her powers vanished.

"Your powers don't just stop for a reason, Jocelyn. You could have been killed." Dave responded on the other end of the phone, his tone full of worry.

Jocelyn rolled her eyes and rolled over on her bed, prompting herself up by her elbows to stare at the black television screen. "But Peter saved me. I'm fine dad." She assured, picking at a loose thread on the comforter. She arrived back to her hotel room almost an hour ago after Maria Hill let her go from their underground medical lab. No one could figure out why Jocelyn's powers stopped working. Even I.S.A. could detect her powers and Jocelyn could feel them in her veins but no one knew why they refused to work. The person who was most worried was Dave who got a call from Jocelyn to catch him up.

Which might have been a mistake.

Dave let out an anxious breath. "Maybe I should come pick you up and get you home tonight. Spending the night is risky. I can talk to Tony about sending a jet-"

"Dad!" Jocelyn cut him off from his constant worrying, a frown falling on her lips. "I told you, I'm fine. The mission is over and the trip was cancelled. I'll be home in a day and I am pretty sure I can survive the night. You can stop worrying." 

Dave was silent on the other end of the phone, hesitant about agreeing with Jocelyn. He lost Jocelyn too many times to count and always gets anxious hearing he might lose her again. From Hydra, a purple alien, and now elemental monsters, Dave refused to stop worrying for his eldest daughter. Jocelyn thought the line got disconnected from how quiet he was but he let out a deep breath, "Fine. But if I get a call saying you scrapped your knee, you are on the first flight home. Understand, young lady?" He snapped.

Jocelyn smiled at her dad's protectiveness, nodding regardless that he couldn't see her. "Yes, dad. Now can I go to bed or do you want to lecture me about that too?"

Dave chuckled softly on the other end of the phone. "Get some rest. Make sure to let me know when you're leaving the airport tomorrow." 

"I love you, dad."

"Love you too, pumpkin. Goodnight."

The line went dead and Jocelyn tossed her phone beside her on the bed, staring ahead at the television. Deciding she needed something to fill the silence, her eyes gazed around the room for the remote and sat up on her bed when noticing it on the night table beside her. She grabbed the remote and turned the television on, flicking through the channels to find an English one. She set the remote down when finding a movie she never seen before. Grabbing the blanket draped over the foot of the bed and curling up into it, she watched the scene of a man single handedly fighting off a dozen other men. A scoff came out of her lips of how poorly his punches were and how unbelievable the fight was.

Her thoughts went back to earlier that evening. Mainly, the moment she was about to die. Pursing her lips, she looked down at her hand resting on the blanket and flipped it over to have her palm up. Focusing on her powers, she took a deep breath and tried to summon an orb to appear. The powers in her veins shot adrenaline through her, feeling warm yet protective. When nothing happened, she glared at her hand angrily and disappointed. 

A knock at the door interrupted her thoughts. She quickly looked up at the door and  closed her hand into a fist. Another knock was heard from the door, softer than the first.

Tearing the blanket off of her and quickly muting the television, she scampered over to the door unsure who would be checking on her. Mary Jane visited her when she came back and helped her clean herself up. Everyone else assumed she was asleep and didn't bother to awake her. When she opened the door, her eyes squinted from the harsh hallway lighting. But her gaze stared at the back of a brown head that was walking away.