Chapter 2

Y/N POV

"Morning Jin!" I called out as I got closer to him.

He was in his usual spot, guitar in hand and singly softly to anyone that would listen. He had a few dollars in his box.

"Y/N!" he chirped back. "Good morning, I hope you've got some fun plans for the weekend?"

"Of course" I laughed back. "In fact my fun plans actually start tonight. My coworker, who I was with yesterday, wanted to go to the shelter after work and is dragging me along with her. So maybe I can see some cute puppies or something"

"Ah, is she looking to adopt?" I nodded in response.

"Is she thinking hybrid or regular?"

"She's not sure yet, she's just going to look around and see, but she's open to either"

"That's exciting... are you looking too?"

I thought about his question for a moment. "I'll have a look around, but to be honest, I'm not sure I'm ready for a pet at the moment, I feel like I wouldn't have enough time for them" I replied sadly.

Jin almost looked sad at my answer too. "Would you consider a hybrid?"

I thought once more, a little surprised at his question. "Maybe, but I still wouldn't have a lot of time for them, wouldn't that be cruel?"

Now it was his turn to think, he tapped his finger on his chin as he made a thinking face, making me giggle.

"I don't think so, if you give them a good home, or maybe get 2 of them, I think they'd be happy" he finally answered.

His answer made me wonder, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to get a hybrid? Maybe it would be ok? Maybe I could get 2? Could I afford 2?

My thoughts were interrupted by a cough, bringing my attention back to the busker in front of me.

"Oh sorry, just thinking." I said sheepishly.

"I could tell," he smirked. "Well I shouldn't keep you any longer, you should get to work before you're late"

My face morphed into surprise as I quickly checked the time on my phone. There was only a few minutes before I was meant to be in the office.

"Oh shoot, sorry Jin! We'll have a better chat next time!" I promised as I started speed walking towards my office.

I made it just in time, quickly throwing my bag onto my desk and slumping into my chair. Not that it would have mattered that much, being late by a few minutes wouldn't really be an issue.

"You're still coming with me after work right?" Lisa's voice broke me out of my peace.

I jumped a little in my chair and turned to face her.

"Of course, I've psyched myself up to see cute animals, maybe the assistant will even let me hold one!" I exclaimed.

She rolled her eyes at me and pulled herself closer to her desk, scrolling through her emails. "Don't get too excited, they might not let you if you're not considering adopting"

Her comment made me slump even further into my chair, and I decided to start doing some work to distract myself from the sad thought of not being able to hold any puppies.

5pm came around and Lisa was practically jumping up and down, bag on her shoulder, car keys in hand, ready to go to the shelter. I gathered my things as quickly as I could, whilst being pressured by Lisa to go faster.

"Where are you two off to?" Lucas piped up.

"Always the stickybeak, Lucas." I laughed. He was always asking what people were doing, where they were going.

"Shelter. I'm getting a new friend" Lisa was blunt as always, and she dragged us out of the building.

Soon enough we were in the car.

"I couldn't sleep much, I was wide awake thinking of what kind of animals I should look for, if I should get a hybrid, if I should get more than one.." she rambled.

"You're always so short with Lucas" I tried to question her.

"He gives me weird vibes, I don't trust him" she sounded like an FBI agent or something.

"But he's not bad or anything, at least try to be nice" I laughed, and she just huffed at me.

I looked out the window and saw the shelter coming up.
If I was being honest, I was a little excited as well. I had always loved animals and knew that eventually I would get a pet. What worried me was that I was scared I would fall in love with an animal, but not be able to take them home for some reason. My heart would break at having to leave them there. I would probably want to take them all home.

Lisa parked and was practically dragging me out of the car. I knew she was keen to get a pet from last night, but in the last 24 hours her excitement seemed to have increased dramatically.

"Hello ladies, how can I help you?" The receptionist greeted us.

"I'm looking to adopt today, I'm not really sure what I want, but I'd like to look around" Lisa responded.

"And will you be looking at the standard animals or are you interested in hybrids?"

"I'd like to look at both please"

"Lovely, I'm sure they'll all be happy to see a potential new owner. I'll just call one of the assistants and they can take you through the shelter."

A few seconds later, another lady came through the doors behind the receptionist.

"Good afternoon ladies! My name is Michelle and I'll take you through to see our animals and hybrids today. Please follow me."

We followed Michelle through the doors and started walking down a corridor. She turned her head slightly to us as she spoke.

"Now, I understand you were wanting to look at both, so I'll take you to the regular animals first. Just let me know if there's any you'd like to cuddle or know more about" she said with a smile.

I liked Michelle, she seemed nice, and this shelter looked pretty decent.

She walked us through another set of doors and we came into a large open space with cages / pens lining the walls. Michelle stepped aside to let us look through, so I went up to the first pen to find it full of bunnies. They were all so adorable and I wanted to lie on the floor and cuddle them all close to me.
The pen next to them was guinea pigs and hamsters. They were also cute, but they kind of freaked me out, I could so easily accidentally step on them and kill them.

I strolled over to where Lisa was, looking at the dogs. There was an array of different breeds, all looking very, very excited to see us. I was reminded of why I was worried about our visit, my heart was breaking looking at all of the beautiful dogs. They were so hopeful, so happy to see us, and we were just going to walk away and leave them here. I didn't want to look at them anymore because I knew if I did then I might try to adopt them all.

We walked over to the cats as well, who were less interested in us than the dogs, but still there were a few that came up to the edge of the pen.

"Any of them interest you?" Michelle piped up, I had forgotten she was there.

"I saw a few that I like, but I'd like to see the hybrids first before I decide." Lisa replied.

"Of course, follow me!" and she led us back through the doors into the corridor, and we made our way to the hybrid section.

As we got closer to the door with the "HYBRIDS" sign on it, Michelle turned a little.

"Just so you know, the hybrids might be in either animal or human form."

We hummed in acknowledgement and followed her through the doors.