dream catcher - THE SANDMAN [T]

TITLE — DREAM CATCHER*

status: taken by BlackCat2907 
faceclaim: scarlett estevez*
oc: mirabella cortez*
fandom: the sandman
love interest: father/daughter bond with morpheus
first appearance: the sandman season one
last appearance: tbd

status: taken by BlackCat2907 faceclaim: scarlett estevez*oc: mirabella cortez*fandom: the sandman love interest: father/daughter bond with morpheus first appearance: the sandman season onelast appearance: tbd

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

THEY SAY YOU SHOULD CHASE your dreams, but what if they're running too?

We always think achieving our goals is like climbing a mountain: one fixed point of destination with a treacherous and challenging journey ahead. But what if it's more like a hunt? Following your prey through all the twists and turns and carrying on despite previous shots that missed the target entirely. Catching a dream can sometimes feel like sand between your fingers because despite it being there, you can't seem to grasp it. After all, dreams are elusive and peculiar things that take hard work to trap, otherwise everyone would be doing what they truly wanted to do.

Mirabella Cortez had an incalculable amount of dreams growing up. She always wanted so much from life and never stopped trying to live it to it's full. But the world was harsh and cruel, not the sort of place where dreams would thrive and prosper. However, despite the world taking away her mountain, the forest beneath her feet, Mirabella could still see her dreams even if the world would deny her the ability to reach them. But even though they were impossible to catch, just the sight of her dreams gave her hope that one day, things might be different.

She couldn't have anticipated what would come next.

It was 1916, and Mirabella was a mere seven years old at the time, when the sleepy sickness ravaged the world, taking her and her Mother along with it. Unbeknownst to all, it was the blind desire of a cruel old man that caused so many to fall prey to a sleep from which they would not awake. A man who indirectly took Mirabella Cortez, probably the kindest soul anyone would ever meet, from the world. He had wanted his son returned to him from Death itself and didn't care if it meant other people's sons, fathers, mothers or daughters were taken in his place.

Poor Mirabella and Rosalee Cortez remained still in their never ending slumber with no sign that they will ever open their eyes again. But then something happened that to this day, no one could explain: Mirabella, a girl who could not move nor wake, had vanished. Whisked away in the middle of the night, leaving no trace but her Mother behind. No one could understand how the seven year old girl had vanished into thin air. And they never would.

It was Lucienne who took the girl from her bed that night. Because after she was claimed by the strange sickness that had harmed so many, being stuck in an endless dream allowed her and The Dreaming itself to look at her properly. Oh, and something wonderful they found indeed. But Mirabella was still stuck, caught between the two worlds. Lucienne had hoped that bringing her physical body to The Dreaming would wake her from this sickness, but it did not.