3. That one's yours Snow

17 years later

Bran shot and missed. Despite Josie training with Bran, he didn't have the knack for archery, or swords, or anything really besides climbing he was an excellent climber.

'Go on fathers watching.' Josie told him and they looked up to the balcony to see Ned and Catelyn looking down at them. 'and your mother.' Josie added. Bran pulled back the bow but he missed it went flying into the trees. The boys laughed while Josie got him another arrow.

'Which one of you as a marksman at 10?' Ned called

'Jojo was.' Rickon declared and Josie glanced up nervously to her father. The glace Catelyn was giving her, she wished she could turn invisible at times.

'Go on.' Ned said watching them.

'don't think too much.' Josie told Bran adjusting his grip.

'Relax your bow arm.' Robb told him and Josie pushed down his elbow, guiding his hand back, a arrow hit the target but it wasn't from Brandon's bow Arya stood behind victoriously bran chased after her.

'Lord Stark... Mi'lady, the guardsmen just rode in from the hills they caught a deserter from the nights watch.'

'Get the lads to settle their horses.' Ned told Theon and he headed off.

'Do you have to?' Catelyn asked incredulously

'He swore an oath cat.' Ned reminded her.

'The laws, the law mi'lady.'

'Tell Bran he is coming to.' ned added. 'Josie as well.'

'Ned. 10 is too young to see such things.' Catelyn informed him.

'He won't be a boy forever,' Ned reminded her, 'and winter is coming.' He said walking off.

+

'I know I broke my oath, I know I am a deserter. I should've gone back but I saw what I saw. I saw the white walkers!' the boy told Ned scared out of his mind. 'I need to get word to my family. I need to tell them... tell them I'm sorry.' Ned nodded and his men put the boys head down Ned pulled his sword forward.

'In the name of Robert of the house Baratheon and first of his name king of the andals-' ned began.

'Don't look away' Josie told Bran, holding onto his shoulders 'he will know if you do, you can be brave right little man?' Bran nodded but leaned back into his sister.

'Lord of the seven kingdoms and protector of the realm. I lord Eddard the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and warden of the north sentence you to die.' He lifted his sword bringing it down quickly upon the deserter. Bran flinched his arms wrapping around behind him to Josie's legs.

'You did well,' Josie told Bran kissing his cheek as Ned approached them.

'Do you understand why I did it?' Ned questioned Bran as they moved to the horses.

'Jojo said he was a deserter,' Bran said while fiddling with his horses saddle.

'Do you understand why I had to kill him?' Ned clarified.

'It is the old way,' bran told him. Ned nodded.

'The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.' Ned reminded him.

'Is it true about the white walkers?' Bran asked

'White walkers have been gone for thousands of years,' Ned assured him.

'so he was lying?' Bran questioned.

'The man sees what he sees,' Ned told him. 'Time to go home.' Ned turned to josie, pressing a kiss to her forehead before mounting his horse. Josie helped Bran up onto his horse with a smile on her face.

++++++++++

'What is it?'

'A mountain lion?' Theon suggested.

'There are no mountain lions in these woods.' Ned told them they walked around the dead moose cautiously looking for the creature that killed it before they stumbled across a wolf, a dire wolf and a pack of puppies.

'It's a freak.' Theon exclaimed.

'It's a dire wolf.' Ned corrected. 'Tough old beast.' he pulled the antler free of its chest attacking the moose, an antler must have gotten stuck, killed the dire wolf.

'There are no dire wolves south of the wall.' Robb remarked

'Now there are five.' Josie said picking one up 'you want to hold it?' josie passed one off to Bran

'Then where will they go?' Bran questioned 'their mother is dead...' he held the puppy in his arms

'They don't belong down here better quick death.'

'They won't last without their mother.' Ned agreed

'All right give it here.' Theon said trying to pull the pup away from Bran but he cried out.

'No!' Bran screamed and Josie flinched as well, killing people didn't make her sick but the killing of animals innocent little pups, that made her mad and nausea.

'Put away your blade.' robb demanded

'I take orders from your father not you.' Theon reminded him

'Please father,' Bran begged

'I'm sorry Bran,' ned told him

'Lord Stark?' Josie said 'there are five pups one for each of the stark children, they are your house sigil, you were meant to have them.' Josie reasoned. Theon still held the blade to the pup still waiting for command. Ned stared at Josie debating, big pleading eyes stared back at him, he had a hard time saying no to her because she reminded Ned of Lyanna.

'You will train them yourself you will feed them yourselves and if they die... you will bury them yourselves.' ned agreed and Theon handed Bran back the puppy back, as Josie picked up the other ones handing them off to Robb and Theon

'what about you?' Bran questioned

'I'm not a stark.' Josie answered as the puppy snuggled into Bran. They were leaving when they heard the wrestling's of another puppy Josie pulled it free it was all white

'The runt of the litter.' Theon said 'that one's yours snow.' Josie stuck her tongue out at him.

"You will be big and strong, and you can eat Theon if you get hungry.' Josie teased shooting Theon a glare. She looked to Ned for confirmation that she could keep it and he nodded a small smile tugging at his lips.