5. Keep her safe

'Is it dead yet?' Benjen called over to Josie, she was beating up a practice dummy in the courtyard.

'Uncle Benjen!' Josie said coming up to him happily wrapping him up in a hug.

'you've gotten bigger!' Benjen remarked it had been a while since he last visited Winterfell. 'out here all day? They didn't wanna leave you alone with a Lannister?' Benjen teased. 'Afraid they might fall in love with you on the spot?' Josie smiled up at him. 'You don't wanna enjoy the feast?' Benjen questioned.

'Lady Stark did not want to insult the Royal family by seating a bastard in their midst.' Josie admitted.

'If they let women at the wall I would gladly bring you with me.' Benjen told her.

"really?' Josie had never thought about that.

"They don't though, don't get any funny ideas in your head.' Benjen told her giving her shoulder a squeeze. 'I better get inside and rescue your father from his guests.' Benjen said 'we will talk later.' he said and Josie watched him go.

'Your uncle is in the nights watch?' Tyrion said

'what are you doing back there?' Josie questioned

'Preparing for a night with your family.' Tyrion told him, 'I've always wanted to see the wall,' he remarked taking a swig from his jug

'You are Tyrion Lannister.' Josie remarked 'the Queen's brother.'

'My greatest accomplishment. And you... you are ned Starks bastard aren't you?' Josie turned away annoyed, that was not what defined her, she was skilled and well knowledged. 'Did I offend you? Sorry.' Tyrion said following her. 'But you are the bastard though.'

'Lord Eddard Stark is my father.' Joise told him

'And lady Stark is not your mother... making you the bastard..' Tyrion told her simply, 'let me give you some advice, bastard. Never forget who you are or what you are the rest of the world will not, wear it like armor, that way it can never be used to hurt you,' Tyrion told her turning away from Josie.

'What the hell would you know about being a bastard?' Josie called after him

'All dwarves are bastards in their father's eyes.' Tyrion told her, 'lucky for you, you are a pretty little thing, better to be a pretty bastard in a powerful house.' Tyrion mused heading inside. Josie groaned audibly before hacking once again at the practice dummy.

++

'Pardon me,' Ned said trying to get around Jaime.

'I hear we might be neighbors soon' Jaime said blocking his way. 'I hope it's true'

'Yes the king has honored me with the offer' Ned said still trying to get around him.

'I'm sure we'll have a tournament to celebrate your new title if you accept. It would be good to have you in the field the competition has been stale,' Jaime told him

'I don't fight in tournaments' Ned informed him

'No? Getting a little old for it?' Jaime teased

'I don't fight in tournaments when I fight a man for real, I don't want him to know what I can do.' Ned told him

'Well said.' Jaime told him grinning.

'Excuse me,' ned said again walking off. 'Jojo!' Ned called holding out some food for her but he saw her sparing, with the dummy, and it drew him back into a memory...

~~

'Keep your sword up I'm gonna wring your head again!' Ned told his brother.

'Stop showing off-' Benjen called

'Lyanna,' Ned said as lyanna rode circles around them Lyanna on her white horse.

'Would you get out of here,' Benjen told her 'we're sparring!'

'Who are you going to spar with when Ned goes off to the Erie?' Lyanna questioned

'I don't know' Benjen admitted

'Willis!' Lyanna called.

'Come here then!' Ned said

'But he's got Giants blood!' Benjen told him.

' 'sounds like a fair match to me' Ned told him.

'I know when he's going to dodge to M'lady' Willis was telling Lyanna. Willis came forward sword in hand and Benjen quivered at the thought, he cautiously raised his blade.

'You leave the fighting to the little lords!' Willis's mother said 'come along now this is no place for you.'

'Look at the size of him!' Ned said 'if you ever learn to fight he would be unstoppable!'

'Well he's never going to learn to fight because he has a stable boy.' his mother informed them 'so leave him be.'

++

'Thank you father.' Josie said quietly as she took the bread from him.

'I'm sorry you can't be inside.' Ned told her.

"That's I think I have had enough of the King staring at me for one day, or week.' Josie admitted. 'Uncle Benjen is here. Did you see him?'

'I saw him,' Ned told her. 'But I wanted to check on you.'

"I'm fine, I'm used to it... but father?'

"Yes jojo?'

'Are you going to become hand of the king?'

'I think I am.' Ned told her and Josie wanted to ask to travel but she didn't know it if was the right time or even her place to ask. 'What is it love?'

'Ned! Ned!' Catelyn said running out. "Leave us.' She hissed at Josie.

'Of course,' she tipped her head before Catelyn catching Ned's eye an apologetic look on his face. 'Lord Stark.' Josie said heading to bed early that night.

'You needn't be so cruel to her.' Ned reminded Catelyn and Catelyn scoffed.

'I just got word from the Erie, from my sister. She said Lord Aryn was murdered by the Lannister's!' she hissed. 'that means that King is in danger!'

'She is a fresh widow Cat, she does not know what she's saying.' Ned assured her looking back at the party he could hear the laughter and the music being played from outside.

'Lysa's head would be on a spike right now if the wrong people had found out Ned!' Catelyn exclaimed. 'Do you think she would risk her life? Her son's life? To risk telling us that her husband was murdered?'

'If this news is true and the Lannister's are conspiring against the throne who but you can protect the king' maester Llewen said coming up behind them. Ned pulled them into a corridor, they were in too public of a place to be discussing such things.

'They murdered the last Hand,' cat reminded him 'now you want to take the job?'

'They traveled a month to ask for Ned Starks help. He is the only one he trusts. He swore the oath.' Lyewen reminded Catelyn.

'He spent half his life fighting in Roberts wars he owes him nothing!' she spat.

'Your father and Brother Road South once on the kings demand.' Ned recalled.

'A different time,' Lyewen reminded him 'a different King.'

'The whole Baratheon family is in danger that means that,' Ned said softly thinking it through, 'Robert and his children... I have to go. I'm the only one who he trusts. I'm the only one that can protect him.'

'YOU OWE HIM NOTHING!' Catelyn shouted. 'What about your family?'

'Don't-' Ned began.

'You are going to run off and fall in love and forget all about your family.' Catelyn sneered. 'I wont take care of your bastard while you are gone.' She spat and if Ned was a lesser man he would have slapped Catelyn. But he wasn't. He marched out instead.

Ned stood outside of Josie's room he heard her singing softly inside. Lyanna liked to sing. He leaned against the door, listening to Josie sing as he debated what to do. What was right? What would protect all the people that he loved? What would keep Josie safe?