Who Where They

Tw: Mentions of death of a minor character
(Only hinted at/talked about for one sentence

California was a gold miners kid before he became a state. Born and raised in California, it was all he knew. His dad didn't get gold often and it usually wasn't much but just the sight of it sparks hope within him. Now around 170 years later he wears a golden necklace under his shirt with a picture of his parents inside. He doesn't think about them much, the memories are too painful, but he misses them. He misses them a lot.

The original thirteen where all involved in the war originally. Having been anywhere from supporting soldiers, to fighting the redcoats, to being a spy. It was a shock for them when a few years after the USA was declared free a man went to each of them, claiming to be the US government and explaining how they weren't just people, they where states.
They all thought he was insane, who wouldn't after being told their not who they thought they where, but over time they noticed things change about themselves, feeling hurt when something happened to the state they lived in, growth spirts adulthood (or growth shrinks in Rhode Island's case), and weirdest of all, they weren't aging. Eventually they all reached out to the man again and got an explanation for who they where and what where these changes. It was hard for any of them to believe but they would figure it out together.

It hurts for Kansas to think back to before he was a state. Caring for his sister, working hard to make sure she can life a happy life with what little they had. It was hard but they had each other and that's all that mattered. Then he started changing. His appearance, hight, eye color hair- everything about his look changed. It was terrifying, his look changing all at once and none of it was in his control. I guess the appearance change was a good thing though because when his sister aged and eventually passed while he stated the same he wouldn't be haunted by her appearance in the mirror. The same toffy brown hair and the sharp blue eyes they used to share had shifted colors, making his hair more of a Mud brown and eyes becoming a mix of colors, but none of them where the same as what they where before.