Their pasts and those they loved

The states have a hard time remembering the beginning of their lives. They don't remember exact memories, can't picture faces, and don't remember their voices, only the comfort they had from happy moments, and the sadness from when they lost. Some don't remember who they lost, but feel the sadness anyways.

Some states keep track of their family from when they were human. A couple keep in contact with them, asking about stories from before they realized their states. Others' died off and now they have no chance of remembering what their families were like.

No one remembers their names. Sometimes a state will just look through lists of thousands of names just to see if one clicks, but they never do.

The government has files of the states. Who they were when they were alive, their appearances over the years, and who their families were. The states don't know about it though, and the government wants to keep it that way.

Some states remember a place from their past. A park, forest, or house. When they go there they feel comforted. They never remember how they know the place, but it's always where they will go if they need a break or to feel normal.

Some remember a person. They don't remember their name, or voice, but they can vaguely remember their appearance, moments together, and what their relationship with them was.

Every State was born in their respective state.

Whenever there's a war the States are enlisted. Not because they want to do it, but because they can't permanently die unless their state does. They don't get a choice. Some are happy to do it, but not all. Those that couldn't be on the front lines would have to take other states rolls in their governments until they could come back.

The states can't reproduce. If they want children they adopt and have to go through the heartbreak of seeing them grow up, get old, and pass away.