37

***

It was the day before the engagement ceremony, but Theodore was engaged in government affairs as usual.

Having said goodbye to Ernst alone, I went to see Theodore's face one last time.

"Why are you here?"

He asked with a frown on his forehead as if in doubt.

"Didn't you leave the Imperial Palace to escort Miss Katarina in the morning?"

"I did, but I forgot something, so I came back."

In case he chased me away, I added hurriedly.

"I'll make sure there's no problem with Miss Katarina's escort. But I'll stay here until Your Majesty goes to bed."

A bitter smile spread across my face as I added that.

"You don't smell that bastard today."

Theodore muttered to himself unknown words.

Do I smell?

Even if he didn't remember me and despised me, I wanted to keep his last memory in good shape. But if I smelled bad, it was a big deal.

I tried to sniff my collar, but I couldn't tell what the smell he was talking about.

"Yeah. Stay here until I'm done."

What a change of heart, he said with very generous generosity.

But he never finished his work. Even though the sun was slowly setting and the night was getting deeper.

If it was too late, I would miss the time to escape the Imperial Palace.

"You have an important event tomorrow, wouldn't it be better to go to bed early today?"

When I asked carefully, he stared at me for no reason. Then Tak—! Loudly, he closed the papers.

"I can't even concentrate on the sound of a bell next to me."

"It's not because of me, it's because you're excited about the engagement tomorrow."

Theodore glared at me, then got up and headed for the bedroom.

I escorted him to the bedroom and turned around.

"Wait."

He caught me.

"I'm not sleeping yet."

He insisted on having a drink.

He was mean to dare me to do what I should have done throughout.

Every time he ran out of alcohol, I had to bring out a new one, but the amount was too much.

"Is it okay for a man to drink like this the day before his engagement?"

"Well, he must be in a good mood."

I could hear the knights in the hallway chatting.

"His Majesty always likes to drink."

"His Majesty likes to drink?"

When I asked back what I just heard for the first time, they kindly answered me.

"Oh, Sir Yves didn't know. Well, he stopped drinking since Sir Yves came to the palace."

"It was to the point that if he didn't drink every day, he couldn't even sleep."

I had never seen Theodore, whom I met again, drink alcohol. I've only seen him drink once, but that was after he lost his memory.

It was fascinating.