47

***

At the sound of the emperor's maddening laughter, everyone put on a bewildered expression.

"I killed her."

But Theodore murmured gloomily, as if all the faces of those around him were invisible.

"I killed Yvonne."

His chest felt like it was being ripped apart. Although Theodore struggled in agony, he did not stop chanting.

"I killed Yvonne, and I killed Yves."

As if that only one proposition was the only truth of the world, he cried endlessly.

"I, I killed her."

Then he suddenly looked at his watch.

At some point, the clock was past two in the afternoon.

"No, two o'clock...."

It was past the time he was supposed to meet her.

"It's past two o'clock. I can't be late. Yves will be waiting."

He abruptly got up and ran out. Now he was heading to the place of a long-time promise that has been over 10 years old.

In fact, he waited for her in the same place, at the same time, every day for the last 10 years since he had lost Yvonne.

It was also where he had stopped coming since he met her again last summer.

Looking back, it was really strange.

After losing his memory, why didn't he think of going back here?

The habit of 10 years broke off in half a year, so why didn't he even think that it was strange?

"Ha, ha..."

Theodore took a deep breath and looked at the tree of promise.

[Hi.]

[Ah, hello...!]

The afterimage of the pretty child Yvonne, who stuttered her words with a reddened face and said hello, passed in a blurry way before his eyes.

Theodore's eyes widened sadly, capturing that pretty afterimage even after thinking about it dozens of times.

"Hello......Hello, Yvonne...."

But the moment he opened his mouth, her afterimage disappeared without a trace. The soft smile that had risen on Theodore's face also disappeared without a slurred sound.

He was too late.

She wasn't here.

He was late. He was too late, and Yvonne was no longer here.

"Yvonne... ."

Knowing this, Theodore called in search of her.

"Yvonne..."

The moment he put that lovely name in his mouth, his throat was clogged.

His throat was so sore that it hurt.

With that hoarse voice, Theodore let out a sound he couldn't reach.

"I miss you. I really miss you, Yvonne..."

His fingers stretched out trembling and traced the rough wooden post.

"I'm sorry................"

Knowing that an already late apology couldn't do anything. And even more bitter sorrow roared within him.

"I'm sorry, really... I'm really sorry..."

The lost apology wandered around in vain and then scattered in vain.