Chapter Twelve

Carson's POV

Getting to work was quick since there was little to no traffic. Jesse's stuff was not where she said it would be. So, it was taking longer than expected to find these streamers she insisted she needed.

"Jesse, I can't find the bloody streamers." I groan as I walk out of the stock room where she said she left it. She sighs sadly and I huff.

"Ask Natalie, she might know where it is." She says.

"I don't know who Natalie is." I say, annoyed and she gives me directions to said women's office. When I reach the office no one's in there. So, I tell Jesse to just give up on the streamers. She agrees albeit sadly and I end the call.

"Carson?" I turn around at the sound of my name and see Cory standing there looking at me confused.

"Hey." I greet.

"What are you doing here?" He asks as he walks up to me and smiles.

"Jesse left streamers here but I can't find them nor can I find this Natalie person who might know where they are." I complain and Cory chuckles.

"Natalie just left for lunch a few minutes ago." He tells me.

"That's fine. I told Jesse to give up on finding those streamers." I say and Cory smiles again.

"Aww, she must be disappointed." He says sympathetically and I nod.

"Why don't you wait for her, if you have the time?" He suggests and I look down at my watch.

"No Jesse needs me back soon. She can't decorate that place by herself. It would be a disaster." I cringe as I think about the catastrophe that occurred three years ago, when Jesse had to decorate the house, all by herself, for mums 60th birthday party. I still have vivid nightmares of the colour orange.

"Oh okay. Well I'll see you tonight then." He says and I look at him confused.

"Tonight?" I question.

"Aren't you coming back to Spencer's tonight?" He asks and I shake my head.

"No, I'm not." I say and he looks at me confused.

"Did Spencer not tell you to come over tonight?" He asks and I shake my head again.

"No, mr Drew didn't say anything to me." I tell him and he frowns.

"He said he did." Cory mumbles.

"Come on." Cory says as he grabs my hand. My eyes widen and my face heats up but I'm going to blame that on the cold. Cory leads me to the elevator and I don't even ask him where he's taking me. I don't even see which floor we're going to, still to busy looking at our clasped hands. Cory doesn't let go of my hand even when the elevator starts moving and I don't say anything. I just try to act calm. But on the inside I'm having a full on anxiety attack.

When the elevator dings open I realise we are on the top floor, Mr Drew's floor. Cory leads me down the hallway and straight to Mr Drew's office. He doesn't even knock, he just opens the door. Mr Drew looks up and smiles when he's sees us both.

"Hey you two." He greets.

"You said you invited Carson over tonight." Cory says and mr Drew nods.

"I did." He says.

"Carson said you didn't." Cory argues.

"I sent you a message Carson, but you didn't answer. I just assumed you were busy helping Jesse." Mr Drew says and I quickly pull out my phone opening my messages. I scroll through my messages but don't see anything.

"There's nothing here." I say and hand my phone over to Mr Drew. He takes it and scrolls through my messages. He frowns and he picks his phone up off the table and opens it.

"See I sent you a message." Mr Drew shows me his phone and I see that he did send me a message. I take my phone back and look up mr Drew's contact details. When his contact comes up I cringe.

"What?" Cory asks curiously.

"I had our chat archived. So, the message didn't show up in my main inbox." I say sheepishly and they both chuckle.

"That's okay. As long as we found out why." Cory says and I nod.

"So, do you want to come over tonight, just to have supper." Cory asks and I bite my lip.

"I'm sorry I can't. Jess and I are going to my mums place for supper since she isn't going to be at the party tomorrow." I explain.

"Oh well that's okay. Maybe some other time." Cory says and I nod.

"Cute sweater." Cory smirks and I look down confused. My face heats up when I realise I still have on mr Drew's sweater.

"I'm sorry, it was cold and this was the only thing I had with me." I apologise as mr Drew stares at me. I start pulling of the sweater but Cory stops me.

"Don't. I was just teasing you. It's very cold and you will get sick if you don't have anything warm on." Cory scolds and I blush harder but just nod. I look back up at mr Drew and he has this weird thoughtful expression.

"I'll give the sweater back tomorrow." I say and Cory nods.

"Sure sweets. But you should keep it. It looks good on you." He says and I'm about to protest but mr Drew's voice cuts me of.

"It does." He states and I think my face is going to melt off if I blush any harder.

"Thanks." I mumble shyly. Before anyone can speak my cellphone rings and Jesse's name pops up on my screen. I say goodbye to mr Drew and Cory before rushing out of the office while answering my phone.

"Are you on your way back?" Jesse questions as I step onto the elevator.

"Yeah, I'm leaving the office now, I'll be back soon." I tell her as the doors close and the elevator moves.

"On your way back can you stop at cards and things and get me some orange streamers?" She asks and I shiver when I hear the word orange.

"Any colour but orange Jesse." I say and I can actually imagine the pout on her face as she agrees to change it to a peach colour.

"Okay, I'll pick up the streamers and head straight back." I tell her.

"Thanks sonny. I really appreciate all your help." I smile to myself and tell her that it's no problem before we say goodbye and hang up.

Helping my family out is never a problem to me. My family consists of my mum and sister, that's it. Dads gone and we're not close to his side of the family since they don't really like us all that much. Mum was an orphan and so she has no family. She was never adopted, she just aged out of the system.

So, it's just the three of us and I adore both of them. I love them so very much. So helping them is never really a bother to me.

After I pick up the steamers, I head straight back to Jesse's place. When I get back, she excitedly takes the streamers from me and opens it.

"Don't you think you should put that up tomorrow, so that it doesn't tear." I say and she sighs but nods.

"You're right." She places the streamers down on the coffee table and sits down on her sofa.

"They messed up my cake." She says as I join her on the sofa.

"I'm sorry Jess, are they going to fix it?" I ask her and she nods.

"Yeah but it's not going to be the one I want." She says and I just hug her.