Chapter Fifty-Five

Spencer's POV

The next morning at exactly 8 o' clock, I'm sitting in the reception area waiting for them to let me up to see Cory. Daniel stands next to me as we anxiously wait.

"You can go u-." We don't let the nurse finish as we head up to the ICU. The elevator takes us straight there and we head to the reception desk and a nurse leads us to Cory's room. She said he woke up last night but he wasn't able to stay coherent for to long. He has been in and out of consciousness throughout the night.

Once the doors to Cory's room slides open I rush in and straight to his bed. I freeze when I see him laying there. My bubbly, smiling, doe eyed love looks so pale. The cuts and bruises make him look so fragile and my heart breaks.

"I'll let you guys have your time." The nurse says as she leaves the room. We both sit down on either side of Cory's bed. I gently take a hold of his hand. It's cold and the drip attached to it makes his hand look frailer.

I bring his hand up to my lips gently and a place a kiss on his bruised knuckles.

"Hi bud, I'm so glad you're okay." Daniel whispers as he gently rubs Cory's hair.

We sit there in silence, just holding onto Cory, reassuring ourselves that he's okay. That he's still here.

It's about 15 minutes into our visit that Cory starts to violently cough. The heart monitor starts beeping wildly and two nurses rush into the room. They move us out of the way as they move Cory so he's in a sitting position. The coughing stops and the heart monitor slowly goes back to its rhythmic beeping.

"Mr Daily , can you hear me?" One of the nurses' asks as Cory squints up at her.

"Car-.." He starts to cough again and the nurse helps him drink a little water slowly.

Cory blinks slowly, his eyes still slightly squinted, as he looks around the room. When his eyes land on Daniel and I he tries to smile as tears fill his eyes.

He tries to reach a hand out towards me but can barely lift it and I rush to him.

"Hey, love. I'm so happy you're awake. I love you so much." I cry out as I cup his face in my hands, gently brushing the tears away.

"Carson?" He rasps out and my heart misses a beat.

"He's here at the hospital and he's okay." I say. I don't want to worry him right now. He just woke up and I think this may be the longest he's been conscious.

"Okay." He whispers as his eyes begin to close again.

"He needs to rest, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to ask you to leave." The nurse says and we nod in understanding and exit the room.

"Was there any news on Carson?" Daniel asks me as we walk towards the elevator.

"None. But I'm going to check now. He's one floor up." I say and Daniel nods.

"I'll come with you." I smile in thanks as we step into the elevator.

Once the elevator dings open we walk out and straight to the small reception area. There's two nurses and one doctor, Carson's doctor. I rush forward and the doctor looks up.

"Is he okay!? Please tell me he's okay!?" I'm nearly shouting and my frantic voice echos in the quiet ward. 

The doctor gives me a small smile as he moves me to one side.

"Carson's doing much better this morning. None of the internal bleeding started again and his vitals have picked up significantly. I was just about to call his family to let them know." The doctor explains and the utter relief I feel is inexplainable. My chest feels light again and my head isn't swimming.

"So he's going to be okay?" Daniel asks and the doctor nods.

"From the looks of it yes, but we can't give you a definite yes. He may take a turn for the worse at anytime but for now it looks like he will recover slowly but surely." He says and Daniel nods in understanding.

"Can we see him?" I ask, impatiently, and the doctor gives me a sad smile.

"I'm sorry no, we can't let anyone in right now. It's policy as well as for his recovery. But you can see him from outside the room. The screen is glass and we have the curtains drawn open during the day." The doctor offers and I immediately agree.

He leads us down the hall right to the end and points us to the room Carson's in. He leaves, letting us know he's going to inform Carson family about his condition. I nod but my eyes don't leave Carson.

My lovely Carson. Battered and bruised. He looks nothing like himself. His pink cheeks are blue and pale. His body is covered so I can't really see all his injuries but just from his face I can see how bad he is.

"Baby..." I shakily whisper as I step closer to the glass.

"He's doing better Spencer." Daniel says as he taps my arm comfortingly.

I nod, not being able to say anything else. I just stand there looking at Carson. My sweet, shy, lovely Carson. I smile as I feel my eyes burn. He's here and he's fighting.

He won't leave us.