Chapter Sixty

Carson's POV

These past few weeks have been a roller coaster. From losing parts of my memory to it coming back way too quickly for me to even comprehend. But, I'm glad I can remember everything and everyone.

Now, I'm just waiting for the doctor to say I can go home. I'm mostly healed and the doctor says I'm making remarkable  progress, so fingers crossed, I'll be out of here by Friday.

It's currently visiting hours and Jesse and my mum are here. Jesse is telling me about all the work her and Spencer did today, and how she's so happy it's almost done.

I listen to my sister talk, comforted by her voice. The hospital can be really quiet and I don't really like it. I miss the noise at home. Cory's little snores and Spencer's sturdy breaths. I miss the sound of the flickering passage light that Spencer refuses to change because 'it still works'.

I miss our crazy mornings before work, shouting from one end of the apartment to the other. I miss home.

I gasp slightly when I realise I've started thinking of the pent house as home. I do spend most of the week there and I basically live there if I think about it. 

"Hi." I'm brought out from my inner ramblings when the door slides open and Spencer walks in. I smile happily when I see him and I sit up a little more.

"Hi sir." Jesse greets and my mother smiles in greeting as Spencer walks up to my bed. He takes the available seat on my left and smiles at me.

"Hey baby, how you doing today?" He asks as he takes ahold of my hand. I interlock our fingers and he squeezes my hand in response.

"I'm good, but so ready to get out of here." I complain and he chuckles.

"Hopefully Friday is the day." He says and I nod.

"We'll leave you to it." Jesse says as she and mum stand up.

"Oh you don't have leave on my account." Spencer says worriedly and my mother smiles and shakes her head.

"It's not you dear, it's getting late and I don't like Jesse driving alone late at night." She explains and Spencer nods in understanding.

"Okay, get home safe." He says and my mum smiles. Both Jesse and mum hug me before they leave, telling me to message them before I go to bed. I wave as they leave the room and then turn back to Spencer.

Spencer lets out a heavy sigh as he rubs his thumb over the plaster, on my hand, covering the spot where the drip was attached.

"I miss you so much baby." Spencer says as he looks down, smiling sadly.

"You see me everyday."  I say, trying to cheer him up.

"It's not the same. I miss holding you when we fall asleep. I miss your singing in the mornings when you make coffee. I miss driving to work together. We just miss you." He says as he lays his forehead against my hand.

"I miss that too, so much." I whisper as I run my free hand through his hair.

"Want me to tell you something weird?" I ask and he looks up at me curiously.

"I think of the pent house as my home, not my mother's house." I say and huff out a laugh.

"That's not weird baby, that's amazing." He beams up at me.

"Really?" I question and he nods, enthusiastically.

"Earlier, when I was thinking about all the things I miss about home, all I could think of was the penthouse, you and Cory." I admit and Spencer kisses me.

"That's the best thing I've heard today, not you missing us but you thinking of my and Cory's home as yours. It will always be a home for you baby, as long as you want it." Spencer whispers as he pulls away from me.

"Sorry to disturb, but it's time for your night meds sir." The nurse says as she slightly lifts up the tray she's carrying. I nod as she walks in and hands me the small paper cup with two tablets and a glass of water. I quickly take my medication while she checks my vitals and then she leaves.

Spencer and I talk for a while longer before the meds kick in and I start getting sleepy.

"I should go, so you can get some sleep." Spencer says softly but I grab his hand.

"Stay with me till I fall asleep, please." I yawn out and he nods kissing my forehead before sitting down again.

He gently rubs my hand and the soothing motions help me fall asleep faster. 

-

The next three days drag on and finally Friday morning arrives. I'm up even before the nurses can come in to wake me up. They smile at me as I literally bounce in my bed, hoping I can leave today.

"The doctor will be in to see you in a few minutes." One of the nurses says as she walks by and I sit up straighter, waiting for him.

It's about 6 or 7 minutes before my doctor walks in, holding his clipboard.

"Good morning Carson, how are you feeling today?" He greets.

"I feel great. Absolutely perfect." I say and he chuckles.

"Looking at your chart, I'd say you look good enough but not great yet. But, I do think you're ready to go home." He says.

"YESSS!" I shout and immediately blush when a few nurses come rushing in, looking worried.

"Sorry." I apologise, sheepishly.

"When can I leave?" I ask the doctor, so happy to be almost free.

"Well, I'll do one last check up on you then, I'll give you a prescription with the medication you'll have to continue taking when you get home and the instructions on when to take them. Then we'll start on those discharge papers." He explains and I nod happily.

"Do you have someone to fetch you?" He asks and I nod.

"Yeah. My sister said she would." I say and he nods.

"Perfect. I'll be back after breakfast to do your check up." He says before saying goodbye and leaving my room.

Once he leaves I immediately call Jesse. She says she'll pick me up and to just let her know what time. I call Cory next, who squeals happily.

"Yayyyyyy! You're coming homeeee."