Chapter Thirty- One

Carson's POV

It's 6pm when Spencer calls us. He tells us he'll be home soon and then hangs up. Lizzy is a bag of nerves and keeps pacing up and down, in front of the elevator. I started cooking supper since I'm also worried. I cook when I'm nervous or angry. Any strong emotion and I cook.

Cory's helping me in the kitchen. He's very distracted. He's been cutting the same carrot for the last 10 minutes. I leave him be, we're all a little distracted, waiting for Spencer to get back home.

The sound of the elevator opening stops us. Cory looks at me and we both drop what's in our hands and rush out of the kitchen. As we step into the hallway we see Lizzy clinging to Spencer and crying. Spencer has a sad smile on his lips as he hugs his baby sister.

"I'm so s-sorry. I-I didn't-t mean to s-say any o-of tha-at." Lizzy chokes out as she cries.

"It's okay Lizzy."Spencer rubs Lizzy's back, comfortingly, as she continues to apologises. As Lizzy sobs die down she pulls away from Spencer.

"I'm so sorry Spence." She says as Spencer wipes away her tears.

"I know Lizzy. It's okay." He kisses her forehead and pulls away completely from her. Once his fully away from her, Cory bolts over. He jumps onto Spencer crushing him in a hug. Spencer wraps one arm around Cory's waist and the other under his butt as he hugs Cory. He walks over to me with Cory still in his arms. I smile at him, relieved his back and safe.

Spencer puts Cory down gently and even before he's fully released Cory, I throw myself into his arms. I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him closer to me. Spencer tucks his head into the crook of my neck as he wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me closer.

"Are you okay?" I ask and he nods against my neck. He kisses my neck and I shiver. I muster up all the courage I can and place a kiss on his cheek.  I feel a huge smile stretch across Spencer's lips and he gives me a tighter squeeze before letting go.

"Where'd you go?" I ask just as Cory asks

"Who's Nina?"

Spencer sighs as he looks back at Lizzy, who's still sniffing. She smiles at us. Spencer reaches his hand out for her. She takes his hand as Spencer takes hold of Cory's hand since Cory's already holding my hand. We all head to the lounge. Lizzy sits down on the recliner and we take the three seater.

Before I can sit down, Spencer pulls me down onto his lap. I squeak in surprise and I hear Cory giggle as he plops down next to Spencer. He burrows in next to Spencer. Spencer wraps an arm around Cory and pulls him closer. His other arm is wrapped around me and I gently lay my head down against his shoulder. My face warms but it feels so good.

"I went to shadows peak." Spencer begins and Lizzy gasps.

"Oh Spence." She says sympathetically.

"Nina was my high school girlfriend." Spencer begins.

"We dated for 5 years before she..." Spencer coughs.

"Nina loved to party. Any and every party there was, Nina was there. She would drink herself stupid. I didn't think anything of it. I was young and dumb and didn't realise something was wrong with her." He explains.

"In our final year there was a huge party after we wrote our final exams. I didn't want to go, plus my parents were going to take me out that evening to celebrate the end of exams and me getting into my dream university." He takes in a shaky breath and I rub his chest comfortingly as he tightens his hold on both Cory and I.

"Nina went to that party and I went out with my family. While I celebrated and enjoyed my evening with my family, she drank so much she passed out and was raped, repeatedly," Spencer chokes out the last few words and I gasp.

"Spence.." Cory whispers as he holds Spencer.

"The next day I tried calling her and it kept going to voice mail. So I went over to her house. When I got there her mum said she wasn't home and that she was at her friends house."

"So, I left. I went home and tried calling her again. I tried over and over and over again. I was so worried something had happened to her and I was right. I stopped calling when the calls didn't even ring." He tells us and I can see that he's fighting back his tears.

"That afternoon I got a single message from her. I love you, goodbye." As that sentence leaves his lips the tears break through.

"I went looking for her. My parents called the cops as well as Nina's parents. I looked everywhere. All her favourite places, places no one would think she would go, I went there looking for her. But I couldn't find her. That evening the cops found her body at the bottom of Shadows peak hill. She left a note for me. The cops let me read it before they took it for evidence." He sniffs.

"She said she loved me and she's sorry that she wasn't a good girlfriend. She wrote about the r-rape and everything that happened before that and why she was drinking. Her parents abused her. Not physically but emotionally, mentally. She couldn't take it anymore and she snapped." Spencer cries. He sobs and my heart breaks. Cory and I both hold onto him as her cries his heart out.

"I'm sorry Spencer." I whisper and he pulls us closer.

"Spencer never dated after that. That is until Cory came along. When Spence met Cory at university he finally opened up again. I saw my brother back to his old self again. Then they started dating. Slowly but surly Spencer was healing." Lizzy says and smiles at Cory.

"Now he has the both of you and I'm extremely happy that he has you both and I'm so sorry that I brought any of this up Spence." Lizzy apologises again and Spencer smiles at her through the tears.