𝐈𝐕

Chapter 4: what an asshole

--♤--

"Hello." Greeted Zaria the merchling who immediately tensed at the voice coming from beside him, "Hi." He replied.

"Thank you for the uhm.. pajamas." She smiled softly at him grabbing the dish he washed drying the water off, he smiles back at her, "oh no problem."

"you know, Jesper won't stop talking about you in the letters, how you can be very smart sometimes and that it annoys him, but mostly how cute you look when you blush," she said chuckling softly once Wylan reddened at the thought of Jesper calling him cute.

Wylan smiled and looked down in an attempt to hide his smile but she noticed, "Zaria!" called Jesper from upstairs and they both could hear his footsteps, Wylan slightly panicking and looked at her.

"don't tell him I told you, lovebirds~" she whispered, shooting him a wink before making her way toward Jesper who looked between the two with a confused frown.

"Are you sick, merchling?"

Zaria rolled her eyes and punched his shoulder, "be nice to him Jes." she said with a smirk before lowering her voice slightly, "wouldn't want to treat your future husband like that." With that, she walked up the stairs leaving him to stare at her back with wide eyes.

"Zaria what the fuck- come back!" she could hear his footsteps hurrying after her and without a thought, she started running up the stairs making sure not to trip, her head suddenly bumped a very hard chess making her cuss and try to stop herself from falling.

something was suddenly hooked around her waist and pulled her up so she wouldn't trip, "saints!" she exclaimed in Zemeni dark brown eyes slightly wide as she strengthened her posture looking up at whoever stopped her from falling.

Kaz Brekker stood in front of her with his cane hooked around her waist to stop her from falling but he didn't touch her not once nor did she, the smell of tobacco went up her nostrils like a wave as she softly backed away.

Kaz on the other hand never thought of a prettier scent except for this one, her perfume was intoxicating and he couldn't get enough of it, but he would never admit it, she just got here.

Both seemed to just stand there in silence and stare into each other's eyes for what seemed to be a minute but felt like an hour, she cleared her throat, "I'm sorry, and thank you-" before she could finish her sentence he brushed past her carefully not to touch her.

she watched him walk down the stairs with cold eyes making her frown in annoyance, "what an asshole.." she muttered watching him disappear and hearing the clicking of his cane fade away.

Rolling her eyes she suddenly felt Jesper's presence beside her, "what was that all about?" he asked watching as she shrugged, "I don't know, but your boss is an asshole."

"Yeah, truth be told, I knew you were gonna say that when you met him." she chuckled and could feel him wrap his arm around her shoulders and ruffle her hair making her groan, "but come on and tell me everything while I wasn't there."

"Okay, but on one condition." she said, "and that is?"

"you stop ruffling my hair, I'm older than you." she ordered with a death glare, Jesper laughed, throwing his head back, "I'm taller but fine, I'll try." with that both the best friends walked towards the sharpshooter's room but she made sure to glance back.

Freezing once she caught Kaz's eyes who cocked an eyebrow at them, she scoffed with a death glare before walking in after Jesper and shutting the door.

-♤-

She sat on Jesper's bed listening to him rant about everything, her thoughts suddenly went back to the bastard of the barrel earlier, shaking her head she turned back her attention towards the boy.

"So what about you?" he nudged her shoulder with a smile, "tell me more, especially the reason why you came here without informing me?" she pressed her lips and pretended to be quite annoyed, "you don't want to see me, I can leave tomorrow-"

"What?! No! Zaria, no, that's not what I meant-" she cut him off laughing and threw her head back, "hey, I'm kidding, I'm joking Jes, your face was so funny." she exclaimed, wiping her tears watching as he death glared at her.

"Haha, very funny."

both stayed quiet for a while, Zaria trying to find the perfect words to explain her situation and not get him angry, "uhm, I ran away, no not because of a fight but there is this asshole who forced me to marry him, he had some sort of a deal with that bitch that gave birth to me and he has a whole gang after me and swore he will look everywhere for me."

Her voice was venomous at the mention of her mother who treated her like absolute shit ever since she gave birth to her, she doesn't think she ever despised a person as much as she does her mother.

That woman traumatized her and she will never forgive her for doing a such thing until she destroys her, then she will relax completely.

Jesper, trying to keep his temper down, asked, "Are you still like, scared of her?"

Zaria thought for a while, pulling her knees closer to her chest and thinking, "No, I mean... I don't know, I'm grown now and I think I'm not afraid of her and want to destroy her but there is..."

she gulped looking down to hide the tears that started covering her eyes, "there is this side of me that still fears her, I'm just scared that she will do what she did to dad, to me."

Jesper will never forget that night when she came running to their house, eyes red like blood from crying, her gasping for air from crying, fear, anger, and from running so much, her hands trembling so badly, and her body burning hot.

She had a fever that night and Jesper's mom had to take care of her, she was 8 that night, and his mom ordered him to read her a book cause she was in a very fucked up situation.

both of them grew up together so whatever the other was feeling they felt it too, Jesper could feel the rage bubbling and his body suddenly boiling hot and he could feel his nails digging into his skin as he tried to forget that night.

Instead he pulled her towards his embrace, "I'm glad you came to me.." he whispered brushing her hair as she finally let the tears fall silently