𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

Chapter 8: Feelings? Impossible

——♤——

Zaria suddenly woke up gasping for air covered in cold sweats as she looked around the room hoping the horror didn't follow her in the room, she sighed in relief looking down at her hand trembling.

Running a hand through her hair she looked down at the warm blanket that smelled like coconut, before getting up from the comfortable chair, stretching she groaned at her sore neck and tried to ignore the sudden headache.

"Woah..." she muttered holding onto the desk for support as out of nowhere the world started spinning, she sighed, grabbed the blanket, and folded it peacefully, blinking a few times as she glanced towards the clock.

8 in the morning.

Yet no one was awake.

Placing the folded blanket on Kaz's bed she fixed her hair and grabbed her boots about to make her way out when she remembered the book she was reading yesterday was on his desk.

Walking back towards the desk she wrapped her scarf tighter around her body and reached over to the beautiful book, holding it tightly against her chest the black-haired girl opened the door, eyes widening at the sight of Kaz Brekker standing with a frown.

"you're awake, how did you sleep?" he asked, watching as she looked down shaking her head and trying to forget the nightmare, "Good, after a while, I had an amazing sleep," she smiled kindly at Kaz who only nodded gratefully that she rested well.

"thanks to you." She resumed her words, the grin never leaving her lips as she looked down straightening her dress that slightly lifted showing more of her thighs, Kaz's eyes followed her down but once he caught a glimpse of more of her thigh he immediately raised his head back looking away.

His hand clenching around his cane tighter as he looked down the stairs, "no worries." silence fell between them, and the only thing that could be heard was the howler of the wind outside.

"I should probably go change... thank you for the blanket, book, and last night." With that she brushed past him and opened the door to her room, closing it behind her with a smile, Kaz peered from his shoulder with a clenched jaw.

——♤——

Here stood Zaria in the kitchen preparing breakfast for everyone who still aren't awake, she didn't know why the only thing roaming her mind currently was Kaz Brekker and yesterday, him standing close to her when reaching for the book, the way he ran a hand through his dark hair, strands slipping through his fingers as they found their place against his forehead.

She grinned, cheeks reddening and eyes sparkling, "what are you smiling about?" asked a voice behind her startling her, she turned around hand in her chest as she tried to ease her quickening her beat, "Jesper, you scared me!" she exclaimed watching as the boy sat on one of the chairs groaning.

Inej soon appeared with the same tired looks, "this is why you both need to chill with alcohol!" she scolded the 2 dregs who sighed together and placed their head on the table to ease the pain down.

Wylan soon joined as he watched the two crows lean their head against the tables, "are they alright?" he asked curiously the girl who rolled her eyes at the stubborn teenagers, "too much alcohol." she replied watching as he pressed his lips together into a thin line.

"Sit down for breakfast." she ordered.

"what is wrong with these two?" asked a raspy sharp voice behind them once again, Zaria's breath hitched at the sound of the bastard of the barrel himself talking, the sound of the chair moving snapped her out of thoughts as she tried to fight her own thoughts.

Wylan replied to his question, gathering the courage she grabbed the mug of coffee and placed them in front of Jesper and Inej who shot their heads up in unison at the sound of something on the table, "drink. it gets rid of the headache." she ordered.

The sharpshooter and wraith did as told, "Wylan, what would you like to drink, tea, coffee, hot chocolate?" she asked, moving towards the table and placing Kaz's mug in front of him, her arm slightly brushing his shoulder, as her scent brainwashed the boy.

Wylan smiled softly at the girl before replying kindly, "hot chocolate, please." nodding she moved to prepare his drink, it was snowing today and Zaria was in complete awe.

Placing the freshly made cookies on the table, she poured the milk on the mug and handed Wylan the chocolate powder along with a spoon, "add as much as you'd like."

Jesper got up and kissed both the girl's cheeks hugging her for making his favorite snacks, "yeah well, yesterday was a lovely night and I knew you would crave your favorite, especially after drinking a whole bottle of alcohol." she smiled at the boy who immediately took a bite of the cookie.

Savoring each bite and the way the chocolate melted in his mouth, Jesper spoke, "this is why I love you." his mouth was full as he held 2 cookies in his hand, Inej almost started crying as soon as she took a bite of the food, it reminded her of home, the cookies her mother used to make.

Wylan immediately fell in love with her food, Kaz on the other hand never tasted such good cookies ever before until this one, at first he thought her hands were made of gold but immediately brushed his thoughts off while munching quietly.

The air was filled with exclaims at how delicious it is making her chuckle softly and shake her head at the happy teenagers.

"Are you not eating?" asked Kaz, making her stop her movement and turn around, she froze once noticing the still full plate with rounded cake in front of her, the whole plate? she took one without a word and nodded thankfully at him.

Taking a seat beside Wylan she munched listening to Jesper ramble about the upcoming mission, Zaria tried to ignore the urge to glance at Dirtyhands who also felt the same thing, chewing on her lip nervously she looked up and glanced towards him but they both did at the same time.

Kaz narrowed his eyes and she looked away immediately feeling her whole body heat up at a hurrying speed, she cleared her throat, "Wylan, honey, would you like to come to visit the new bookshop with me?" she asked the boy who immediately nodded at her offer.

"I would love to."

Jesper rolled his eyes, "why the merchling? why not me?" asked the sharpshooter crossing his arms like a kid, just as Wylan was about to snap back Zaria spoke calmly, "because me and the merchling share a lot in common, you hate books, Jesper."

Jesper rolled his eyes with a small huff, "makes sense." She got up making her way towards the sharshooter, "sorry, love. I'll buy you something on my way."

With that she disappeared into her room.

Sighing softly she shook her head in disbelief, 'you're not catching feelings? Impossible.' She thoughts despising how the bastard of the barrel never leaved her mind.