𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

Chapter 28: Demons

Chapter 28: Demons.

A/N: get the tissues ready.

——♤——

It had taken Nina less than an hour to discover that most of the prison wagons passed by a roadhouse known as the Warden’s Waystation on the route to the Ice Court.

The thought of having any type of metal around her skin, especially shackles, terrified her.

she will kill Kaz for that.

It was too crowded with farmers and local laborers to be useful, so they headed further up the road, and by the time they found a spot with enough cover and a stand of trees large enough to suit their purpose, Inej felt close to collapse. She thanked her Saints for Jesper’s seemingly limitless energy.

When the prison cart rolled by, he’d signal the rest of the crew with a flare, then sprint back to join them.

"No mourners," Jesper called after kissing her cheek, loping off into the twilight, his long legs eating up the distance easily. 

"No funerals." they all replied except her, she knew Jesper was well-armed and could take care of himself, but between his lanky frame and zemeni's skin, he was just too noticeable for comfort, and so was she.

"Jes!" calling out for him she ran, the sharpshooter stopped and shot her one of his charming grins, "be safe." she said fixing his collar and patting his shoulder just like his mother used to do every time he left with his father.

Jesper smiled at her and wrapped his arm around her shoulder pulling her to his chest for a second, "I will." she smiled up at him and immediately went back to stand beside Inej.

the sun was high above them, a bright pocket of glare in an overcast sky, she, Inej, and Nina stood with a piece of one of the pepper wolf cookies she’d bought in Upper Djerholm.

"Where are the others?" asked Inej, looking around the empty gully, "In the road. Kaz said we should let you sleep." Zaria nodded at Nina's words.

"you can lay on my lap or shoulder, I think my lap is better since it is more comfortable if you'd like?" requested Zaria tilting her head at Inej who grinned and shook her head.

"I'm fine, but thank you, Z." said Inej shooting her a tired smile, Zaria frowned in worry but a sudden, crackling snap snap snap from the road had her on her feet with her knife drawn in seconds, Inej back pressed to hers.

"easy." said Nina staring at the girls, "it's just Wylan." Inej sighed in relief and Zaria shook her head.

to be fair, Zaria never felt so afraid, the shackles and thought of being in a wagon frightened her and for the whole 24 hours, her whole body was alarmed, just a single sound or even a leaf landing on the ground made her alert and snap her head.