𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈

Chapter 23: No mourners, no funerals

——♤——

Zaria grew up reading romantic books, her room was full of them, and every book you could think of was on her shelves, and of course, she made sure to write in the letter for her sister to clean her shelves and take good care of the books.

Making her way towards Kaz she placed her hand in front of him, he didn't talk to her ever since their little chat, ever since he grabbed her hand.

Zaria hated when someone gave her the silent treatment, Kaz watched her with narrowed eyes, "The keys." she spoke with raised eyebrows, he rolled his eyes and did as told.

Placing the keys in the palm of her hand he looked away still feeling her beside him, "need something else?" he asked coldly it almost made her wince at how cold his voice was but stayed silent.

"yes. Did I say something that offended you?"

"no. I gave you the keys, do you need something else?" his voice came out harsher than intended as now he was fully facing her, Zaria's frown faded as she looked into his eyes in search of something.

Anything.

At least a hint of any emotion, but no, nothing, she couldn't read him this time, he has built those walls higher and even Inej, a skilled climber couldn't climb these ones.

"I was merely asking.." she replied, her voice low almost like a whisper but then fire blazed and started burning her, she clenched the keys in her hand not caring about the metal digging into her skin but focused on the boy in front of her.

"but no. I don't need anything else. not from you, at least, never again." with that she took a few steps back and started making her way toward Nina, letting out a frustrated sigh she smiled at Nina.

The Heartrender knew the smile she just gave her was fake, she could hear her heart beating so fast at the moment, "can you please just kill me, right now?" asked the black-haired girl Nina who frowned.

"Why? what happened?" asked Nina, Zaria sighed and tried to calm her beating heart, "I don't know, I went to get the keys but Mister Brekker just got mad and snapped." Now it was Nina's turn to sigh in frustration.

"Mister Brekker." she scoffed, "do you want me to crush his heart?" Zaria chuckled at that and shook his head, "no, if he continues I will zap him or throw him off the boat." she said, watching as the heartrender immediately nodded at that.

"good idea. I'll help you." with that Zaria linked her arm with hers and placed a kiss on her cheek that immediately reddened, "I know you will, angel, now shall we go see your lover?" teased the zemeni girl Nina who rolled her eyes.

"My lover? He hates my guts." Zaria frowned and listened to her, "well, mine does also, he's not my lover really, but it seems like our friendship is no longer...present, as well."