𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐗

Chapter 39: water had a voice

——♤——

ELEVEN BELLS AND THREE-QUARTERS CHIME

Kaz had considered trying to eavesdrop on Matthias and Brum in the ballroom, but he didn't want to lose sight of Nina when there were so many drüskelle around.

He'd gambled on Matthias' feelings for Nina, but he'd always liked those odds.

The real risk had been in whether or not someone as honest as Matthias could convincingly lie to his mentor's face. Apparently, the Fjerdan had hidden skills.

Zaria was nowhere to be found and Kaz could feel worry eating him alive, for the first time ever, he hoped the girl was fine and that she was not hurt, that a Fjerdan didn't find out about her being a grisha.

Kaz had tracked Nina and Brum across the grounds to the treasury. 

Then he'd taken cover behind an ice sculpture and focused on the miserable task of regurgitating the packets of Wylan's root bombs he'd swallowed before they'd ambushed the prison wagon.

 He'd had to bring them up, along with a pouch of chloroplasts and an extra set of lockpicks he'd forced down his gullet in case of emergency, every other hour to keep from digesting them. 

It hadn't been pleasant. He'd learned the trick from an East Stave magician with a firebreathing act that had run for years before the man had accidentally poisoned himself by ingesting kerosene.

Once Kaz was done, he'd let himself check the treasury perimeter, the roof, and the entry, but eventually, there was nothing for him to do but keep hidden, stay alert, and worry about all the things that might be going wrong. 

He remembered Zaria standing on the embassy roof, her soft fingertips on his skin, so delicately, holding him like he was going to break if she let go.

her eyes, oh those champagne eyes catching his making his whole body warm up, making his demons vanish, his eyes falling to those soft lips he wanted to kiss so badly.

the bells of Black Protocol had begun to ring, the chimes of the Elderclock booming over the island, shaking the air and snapping him out of his thoughts.

Lights from the guard towers came on in a bright flood, the drüskelle around the ash left off their rituals and began shouting orders, and a wave of guards descended from the towers to spread out over the island.

He'd waited, counting the minutes, but there was still no sign of Nina or Matthias, 'They’re in trouble', Kaz had thought, 'Or you were dead wrong about Matthias, and you’re about to pay for all of those talking tree jokes.'

He had to get inside the treasury, but he’d need some kind of cover while he picked that inscrutable lock, and there were drüskelle everywhere.

Then he saw Nina and Matthias and a person he assumed must be Bo Yul-Bayur running from the treasury. He'd been about to call out to them when the explosion hit, and everything went to hell.