𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈

Chapter 26: The sharpshooter and the Storm

--♤--

Zaria Isla can be dangerous, so dangerous that even the best assassin wants to hide away from her.

And walking beside Kaz with a frown sharing her thoughts about the plan it felt like she was walking along with the devil himself, planning to control the entire world and make the believers turn into sinners.

She and the Devil, walking side by side, eyes sharp and minds focusing on the heist and nothing else.

Zaria believed in saints but she was a sinner, she killed, manipulated, and hurt people in every way possible, all that to protect her family.

and it seems like Kaz Brekker did the same thing, both their hands were always covered in blood, Kaz killed some people with his cane while she was more of a 'take your anger out' person.

But both she and Kaz are also twin soldiers, striding on, pretending they were fine, hiding their wounds and bruises from the rest of the crew, and walking down the cliffs as if they owned the country, chins up and a stoic face.

Every hint of fear left her body, a Grisha walking proudly on the land of the people that murder her kind, her hand in her pockets and standing beside a scary teenager around 17's holding a stick and eyes cold.

Spring made its appearance, the weather warmed, the ground thawed, the paleness vanished and she looked alive and not like a walking corpse.

Djerholm looked nothing like Ketterdam nor Novyi Zem, its harbor was crowded with ships, but its tidy streets marched to the water in an orderly fashion, and the houses were painted such colors; red, blue, yellow, pink, etc...

as if in defiance of the wild white land and the long winters this far north.

But it looked far more cheerful than she ever thought it would, she looked around in pure awe, "Cannon." Suddenly spoke Jesper snapping her out of thoughts.

Kaz squinted up at the big guns pointed out at the bay,

"I've broken into banks, warehouses, mansions, museums, vaults, a rare book library, and once the bedchamber of a visiting Kaelish diplomat whose wife had a passion for emeralds. But I've never had a cannon shot at me."

"There's something to be said for novelty," offered Jesper. And Inej pressed her lips together, "Hopefully, it won't come to that."

"Those guns are there to stop invading armadas," Jesper said confidently a grin on the corner of his lips, "Good luck hitting a skinny little schooner cutting through the waves bound for fortune and glory."

"I'll quote you on that when a cannonball lands in my lap," said Nina and a sudden whistle caught their attention, Zaria glanced over to the man who watched her with eyes twinkling and a smirk.