𝐗𝐋𝐈

Chapter 41: Angel

Chapter 41: Angel

——♤——

"If I were a Suli seer," started Inej, "I could look into the future and tell you it will be all right."

"Or that I'm going to die in agony," Nina pressed her cheek against the top of Zaria's head earning a small sigh.

"Tell us something good anyway."

"It will be all right," Inej said, "You'll survive this. And then you're going to be very, very rich. You'll sing sea shanties and drinking songs nightly in an East Stave cabaret, and you'll bribe everyone to give you standing ovations after every song, you will live with Big Tulip and have little you running around” Nina laughed softly.

"And Zaria you will be very rich as well, probably even have your own mansion in Novyi Zem, you will marry Kaz, become the queen of the barrel and wear nothimg but silks and ruby." The girl closed her eyes happily at the dream

"Let's buy the Menagerie!" Suggested the raven haired girl grunning like an idiot, "since I will be the queen of Ketterdam anyways,"

Inej grinned at that, thinking of the future and her little ship, "Let's buy it and burn it down." Exclaimed Inej nodding, "yes ma'am! Burn that bitch even."

Chuckling together like maniacs at the thought of burning the Menagerie they watched the waves for a while.

"Ready?" Nina asked.

Inej was glad she hadn't had to ask. She pushed up her sleeve, baring the peacock feather and mottled skin beneath it.

It took the barest second, the softest brush of Nina’s fingertips. The itch was acute but passed quickly.

When the prickling faded, the skin of Inej's forearm was perfect—almost too smooth and flawless, like it was the one new part of her.

Inej touched the soft skin. Just like that it was done. If only every wound could be banished so easily.

Nina kissed Inej's cheek and then Zaria's, "I'm going to find Matthias before things get bad, Zaria, Kaz is calling." She turned around in search of Kaz Brekker immediately.

She followed where he disappeared, he didn't call her, Nina did it on purpose so she follows him and they can talk this out.

"You wanted to see me?" Kaz was looking for something and once seeing the girl stand in the doorway he got up.

"No, I don't." He replied coldly not even looking at her, making her frown, Nina had Matthias if something bad happened, and Zaria wanted nothing but for him to glance at her, why was he distant all of a sudden.

"Move." He tried to brush past her but she moved to stand in front of him.

He had a heavy coat on and was leaning on his crow-head cane and Zaria felt relieved to see him back again, like he always was, he looked like himself once again.