𝐗𝐗𝐗

Chapter 30: Him

Chapter 30: Him.

——♤——

an old woman sat with her hands chained, flanked by guards. Her eyes were vacant. As each prisoner approached, the woman gripped his or her wrist. 

A human amplifier. Kaz knew Nina had worked with them when she’d been scouring the Wandering Isle for Grisha to join the Second Army. They could sense Grisha's power by touch, and he’d seen them hired on at high-stakes card games to make sure none of the players were Grisha.

"fuck." spoke Zaria in a whisper right beside him in annoyance, "I fucking knew I will get executed in here." she threw her head back with a sigh.

Nina didn't want to go first, so Zaria moved shooting the heartrender a reassuring look, Kaz watched her carefully. 

He could see her trembling as she held out her arm, her entire skin covered in scratches and purplish bruises, the woman clamped her fingers around Zaria's wrist and the girl closed her eyes in pain.

Her eyelids stuttered briefly, then she dropped the zemeni girl's hand and waved her along.

Had she known and not cared? Or had the paraffin they’d used to encase Zaria's forearms worked? The teenager frowned but moved either mouthing a small "ow" at the pain.

Nina was also as confused, standing beside Zaria who was trying to move her wrist without wincing in pure pain.

As they were led through an arch on the left, Zaria froze and looked behind in search of Kaz. he caught a glimpse of Zaria disappearing into the opposite arch with the other female prisoners, eyes searching for him. 

He felt a twinge in his chest, and with a disturbing jolt, he realized it was panic, it was as if she read right through him, "I'll be fine, I promise, stay safe." she said, mostly reassuring herself, she didn't want to leave him.

what if they found out she was grisha and she is on her way to her death? what if this is the last time she sees the Crows? she sees him? Saints, she hopes not.

She’d been the one to wake him from his nightmare in the cart. 

Her voice, soft like an angel, had brought him back from the dark, brought him life, it had been the tether he grasped and used to drag himself back to some semblance of sanity.

Her. 

He could tell that she was panicked as he is, what if this is the last time he sees her, he didn't want that, absolutely fucking not.

he saw a second walkway, where the female prisoners were being marched, right after when the male prisoners were led clanking up a dark flight of stairs to a metal walkway.

Zaria will be fine. He had to stay sharp. They were in enemy territory now, a place of steep risk, the kind of fix you didn’t walk out of if you didn’t keep your wits about you, she promised him.