𝐗𝐋

Chapter 40: Row after row

——♤——

Zaria was so happy and saints that she can't wait to tell Kaz everything and even kiss him in relief.

The cold breeze of Fjerda slapped her cheeks and made them red, she had chills and the dress didn't provide any warmth.

but even if Fjerda's cold weather was making her hands ache, she felt happy, very happy that they finished an impossible heist and made out together; as a family.

They’d got further than any crew. They'd blown up a building at the heart of the Ice Court. But they'd never make it to the harbor without Zaria, Inej, and the others.

Nina kept moving. The only other option was to sit down on a boulder and wait for the end. 

A rumbling began from somewhere in the direction of the Ice Court followed by a howling, "Wolves aren't very far." Matthias's eyes lit up at the thought of wolves being close to them, no, it was just a happy Zaria.

"Oh, Saints, please let that be Jesper," pleaded the heartrender as they pulled themselves over the lip of the gorge and looked back at the bridge festooned with ribbons and ash boughs for Hringkälla.

"Whatever is coming, it’s big," said Matthias. 

"What do we do, Kaz?"

"Wait," he replied as the sound grew louder, Nina was bouncing nervously from foot to foot, "How about 'take cover'?" she asked in worry that the Fjerdans found them, "'Have heart'? 'I stashed twenty rifles in this convenient shrubbery'? Give us something." she pleaded the bastard of the barrel.

"How about a few million kruge?" said Kaz making the girl fight the urge to just kill him, A tank rumbled over the hill, dust, and gravel spewing from its treads. 

Someone was waving to them from its gun turret, no, three someones. Inej, Wylan, and Zaria were yelling and gesturing wildly from behind the dome.

and at that moment, seeing the girl yelling and gesturing wildly with the others yet safe and sound, made Kaz's shoulders drop in pure relief, his eyes lit up, and this time...he smiled.

Nina let out a victorious whoop as Matthias stared in disbelief. When Nina looked at Kaz, she couldn’t quite believe her eyes. 

"Saints, Kaz, you actually look happy."

"Don’t be ridiculous," he snapped. But there was no mistaking it. Kaz Brekker was happy, in fact, he was grinning like an idiot, seeing his girl on a tank laughing and shouting, his crows with a war machine.

Kaz Brekker could feel his cheeks reddening in happiness, but he will never admit that it was because of the Raven-haired girl from afar and Wylan and Inej looking like tiny fairies.