𝐋𝐈

Chapter 51: cause I don't care if I lose my mind, I'm already cursed

Listen to Fairytale for better experience.

——♤——

Inej was Zaria’s sister, not by blood, and even if she was suffering, her body was suffering from that stupid drug, she continued to fight, to sit on her knees even if it ached terribly like thousands knives stabbing her, and prayed the saints to keep her whole and safe, not her health, but Inej’s.

Matthias and Kaz had returned from the university, holes burned into their clothing from some kind of bomb Wylan had made, Jesper, Zaria and Wylan close on their heels, wild-eyed and soaked from the spring rain that had begun to fall—with a beefy Kaelish-looking farmer in tow.

Nina’s eyes landed on Zaria, who was tensed, soaked from head to toe and eyes wide, she despised the rain and that’s a face everyone knew, her hand trembled and she kept flexing it, a rifle on her shoulder.

And then Kaz, She had no idea what to expect from Kaz. Anger, maybe worse. Kaz didn’t like surprises or potential vulnerabilities, and Jesper’s father was one very stocky, wind-chafed vulnerability

Did something happen between them?

Zaria smiled as soon as her eyes landed on Nina, she walked to her and kissed the side of her head and Nina could hear her heart hammer against her chest without using her powers, it was loud enough to fill the silence between them.

“My saints! You are freezing!” she exclaimed holding Zaria’s hand, her clothes stuck to her body like a second skin, heavy with the weight of the downpour, “oh darling, I think I am dying because of this drug, has-“ she leaned in to whisper, “has he told you who has the drug?” she asked Nina in a whisper.

Nina looked at Kaz who watched them with a frown, probably wondering what they were whispering about, “Kaz.” She replied through gritted teeth, Zaria’s heart dropped and a look of disbelief appeared in her eyes, “I think I am dying, Nina.”

Nina has consumed only a little of the parem, not the rest of the bag like stupid Zaria did, and she couldn’t imagine the pain the girl was currently feeling.

“I need a little, that’s all,” she begged the Heartrender who felt her heart ache at her best friend’s teary eyes, “I rather die than for this pain to continue, every drop of rain landing on my body is like someone stabbing me."

Nina looked into Zaria’s teary eyes, her heart heavy with worry, she could see the pain etched on her friend’s face, and it tore at her own soul, “don’t say that.” She shook her head, tears covering her own green eyes, “I don’t want to lose you, I asked but they- they can’t give us.”

Zaria grabbed her cheeks with her freezing hands, pressing a kiss to her forehead before walking away to change her clothes, putting the rifle on the small table, getting rid of them as soon as she walked in she grabbed the large towel, wrapping it tightly around her body.