𝐋

Chapter 50: War of hearts I: Zaria and Kaz's forbidden love

——♤——

Jesper looked at Zaria for help, his eyes shouting the words ‘HELP ME’ as he turned to his father.

“Da,” he began gulping and searching for the answer, “I…” he trailed off and this time Zaria didn’t know what to say, for the first time ever she didn’t have a lie to give, “the thing is—“ but just before he could finish.

Bang!

A shot rang out against the walls of the courtyard, Jesper and Zaria didn’t think twice before shoving Colm behind them as a bullet pinged off the stones at their feet, a cloud of dust made her cough and close her eyes.

And then gunfire was echoing across the courtyard, the reverberation made it hard to tell where the shots were coming from, Zaria looked around through the smoke with wide eyes, her scarf long gone, “What in the name of all that is holy—” Jesper yanked on father’s sleeve, pulling him toward the hooded stone shelter of a doorway.

Zaria looked to her left, prepared to grab hold of Wylan, but the merchling was already in motion, keeping pace beside Jesper and her in what passed for a reasonable crouch.

Nothing like being shot at a few times to make you a fast learner, Jesper thought as they reached the protective curve of the overhang.

Zaria craned her neck to try to see up to the roofline, through squinted eyes, and then flinched back as more shots rang out. Another smattering of gunfire rattled from somewhere above and to the left of them, and she could only hope that meant the big brooding tulip and Demjin were returning fire.

“Saints!” his father gasped making her wince and lean against the wall, bullet raining on top of them, this was his first meeting with his son and daughter and it went like shit. Curse this heist. Curse them motherfuckers.

“This city is worse than the guidebooks said! Zaria darling why did you choose this place?” and she laughed at that, “I don’t know uncle, I really don’t and it isn’t the city,” she replied taking the pistol Jesper handed her from his fancy looking coat.

“They’re after me. Or her, or after us. It’s always hard to say.” Jesper pointed at himself, then his best friend with his thumb then the trio, “Who’s after you?” Jesper exchanged a glance with Wylan who turned to Zaria.

Jan Van Eck? A rival gang looking to settle a score? Pekka Rollins or someone else Jesper had borrowed money from? Zaria’s step mother? The gang from Novyi Zem that wanted to kill her for not agreeing to marry that son of a bitch?

“There’s a long list of potential suitors, uncle, a list bigger than Jesper the giraffe, so we need to get out of here before they introduce themselves more… personally.” She waved her hands more dramatically, ignoring Jesper’s offended look for calling him a giraffe.