𝐗𝐋𝐕

Chapter 45 : Whispers of the Heart

——♤——

Zaria was blushing the entire time.

It’s funny how a small kiss to her temple can make her burn and smile like an idiot, though even if she couldn’t focus on anything except Kaz she noticed the change between the crows.

each of them seemed to be separating. was it even the right word? The wraith wasn't here, Wylan was quieter than he ever was, and Jesper was as well, every time he stood beside Kaz there was tension, anger.

Nina and Matthias stood beside one another, Kuwei never uttered a word or glanced at her, the girl felt alone and very confused, her family wasn't the same as before.

what was happening?

Matthias was the one to ask about the mission, and Zaria watched him and Nina with a soft smile, the Heartrender was leaning on him slightly as they made their way over the uneven terrain.

"It's not a mission; it's a job," Nina corrected, "And it went splendidly." at that she earned a scoff from the zemeni boy.

"yeah," said Jesper almost in a whine, "Splendidly. Except that my revolvers are currently collecting dust in the Club Cumulus safe. Smeet was afraid to walk home with them, the hopeless podge. Just thinking of my babies in his sweaty hands-"

wait, Jesper gave his revolvers to Smeet? impossible.

Zaria's eyes widened, so there was indeed a huge change when she was resting, just as she opened her mouth to say something, Kaz cut her off.

"No one told you to wager them," said Kaz, voice cold, she turned towards the bastard of the barrel with narrowed eyes, why was he speaking to Jesper like that? what was fucking going on?

"You dealt me into a corner. How the hell else was I supposed to get Smeet to stay at the tables?" replied Jesper sharply which made the girl frown even more.

she stared between the two in suspicion before at Nina and Matthias who shrugged, "you gave Smeet your precious revolvers?" she finally spoke turning towards Jesper who nodded.

Jesper needed his guns, the weight of them on his belt and hips bought him comfort, if he was anxious he needed to hold them, she never heard of a sharpshooter without his guns.

Kuwei poked his head out of the huge stone tomb as they approached, "What did I tell you?" Kaz growled, pointing his cane at him, Zaria sighed softly and pushed his cane down, "Kaz." she called shaking her head.

"My Kerch isn't very good," protested Kuwei, "Don't run game on me, kid. It’s good enough. Stay in the tomb." she tried to imagine Kaz with a child.

Kuwei hung his head, "Stay in the tomb," he repeated glumly and Zaria sighed softly, shaking her head, with that she followed the crows who followed the Shu boy inside.