𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

Chapter 38: Tante Heleen

——♤——

The guests entering through the grand archway were being shepherded into rooms off the rotunda in small groups to be searched for weapons.

Inej saw guards emerge with little piles of brooches, porcupine quills and even sashes that Inej assumed must contain metal or wire.

noticing how quiet the wraith suddenly got, Zaria moved, intertwining her fingers with Inej's.

"You don’t have to do this, you know," she said glancing at the suli girl who held her hand tightly, "You don’t have to put those silks on again." she whispered softly.

"I’ve done worse." she replied sighing softly and clenching her friend's hand for dears' life, "I know. You scaled six stories of hell for us along with Z." spoke Nina glancing at her two friends.

"That’s not what I meant." both the girls paused at that, and Zaria's eyes narrowed as she thought of a way to grab Tante Heleen so Inej will kill her.

"I know that, too." hesitated Nina, then said, "Is the haul so important to you?"

Inej was surprised to hear what sounded like guilt in Nina’s voice.
The Elderclock began to chime nine bells. Inej looked down at the wolves chasing each other around the rotunda floor.

"I’m not sure why I began this," she admitted, "But I know why I have to finish. I know why fate brought me here, why it placed me in the path of this prize."

only Zaria knows about the dream that had ignited in her heart – a crew of her own, a ship under her command, a crusade.

It felt like something that was meant to be kept secret, a new seed that might grow to something extraordinary if it wasn’t forced to bloom too soon.

She didn’t even know how to sail. And yet a part of her wanted to tell Nina all of it. If Nina didn’t choose to go back to Ravka, a Heartrender would be an excellent addition to her crew.

and if Zaria didn't choose to go back home, to Novyi Zem, a Squaller and sharp person like her would be an excellent addition to her crew as well.

"They're here," Nina said catching the girl's attention, The girls of the Menagerie entered through the rotunda doors in a wedge formation, their gowns glittering in the candlelight, the hoods of their capes shadowing their faces.

"I don’t see her," said Nina squinting her eyes, "Just wait. The Peacock will enter last." And sure enough, there she was: Heleen Van Houden, shimmering in teal satin, an elaborate ruff of peacock feathers framing her golden head.