𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕

Chapter 35: La colère et l'amour (the anger and the love)

Warning: small spoiler for season 2 of shadow and bone

——♤——

"you guard against pain. you guard against joy. but when you allow yourself to be blindsided by love...two worlds make a universe. he's not my weakness. he's my universe." 

_ Sankta Neyar

Zaria worked as an entertainment performer, or more specifically, a dancer, both on the streets and during more professional events, to win money.

A lot of people traveled just to see her perform, though, they had never seen her face except those ravishing brown eyes that reminded them of champagne, an expensive one that only the Royal Family used to drink.

But Kaz saw a brown land, full of broken promises and secrets inside, left behind, unspoken of and unheard, only the saints and Jesper Fahey.

As soon as Wylan and Matthias reached she grabbed their hands and pulled them up, a strong grip, her hands trembled as blood was suddenly on Matthias's hands, "sorry.." she whispered brushing past the Fjerdan, helping Nina.

"Are you okay?" asked the heartrender in worry grabbing Zaria's hands, "I'm fine, Nina, really." she smiled softly at the green-eyed girl doing everything she can to hide the pain, "it hurts less than my face."

Moving past the girl after smiling at her, "Thank the Saints, you're alive!" gasped Jesper when Zaria and Wylan grabbed his shoulders and hauled him up, wrapping his arms around his best friend, nuzzling his face into her neck like they always did when they were still children.

Zaria smiled and patted his shoulder, her body ached terribly, she was in pain and she couldn't, for once, hug him back. And Jesper squeezing her until she couldn't breathe didn't help.

"Jes, I love you so much, but I can't breathe," she exclaimed chuckling softly, Jesper broke away apologizing, "it's okay!" she exclaimed chuckling at the boy before turning to look for the bastard of the barrel.

worry immediately rushed through her body, Kaz was nowhere to be seen, "Kaz?" she asked the sharpshooter with a frown, "Kaz is on the rope." replied Jesper.

Matthias and Wylan seized the rope to pull him up. she wanted to help but Matthias ordered not to, not when her hand is currently bleeding, "tell...Nina to fix it." he ordered turning back around.

Zaria not once moved, she needed to see Kaz okay, as soon as they dragged him out of the shaft, she sighed in relief, letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding.