𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐈

Chapter 42: We'll meet again

——♤——

The aches set in after dawn. An hour later, it felt as if her bones were trying to push through the places where her joints met.

Kaz stayed by her side but needed to get out to talk about the plan, Jesper was a worried mess as soon as Kaz mentioned the word fever.

as Zaria stood on her feet, she collapsed to the ground immediately, tears raced down her flushed cheeks as she suddenly got this urge to kill.

Everything felt wrong. All she could think of was the sweet, burnt taste of the parem. Her throat itched. Her skin felt like an enemy.

her legs won't move, she doesn't know where she is, and all she knows is that she is alone and probably going to die. Because this pain was nothing like getting stabbed or sliced in the face, it was worse.

It was the same for Nina but the Heartrender's pain soothed for a while before starting again, for Zaria, it didn't stop not one second.

she took too much of the parem, she was going insane, Kuwei was right the first dose was murdering her.

The Devil manipulated her and she was now burning in his hell, Nina begged for Matthias to leave but she knew he will never leave her no matter what.

Nina shook her head when Matthias asked her if she wanted another dose, "Don’t give me another dose. Whatever I say, Matthias, no matter how much I beg. I don’t want to be like Nestor, like those Grisha in the cells."

Zaria on the other hand was slowly ending up like Nestor and the other grishas in the cell, saints, she didn't even want to take the jurda, only did it so Nina wouldn't suffer alone, but now, she was suffering more than anyone did.

"Nina, Kuwei said the withdrawal could kill you. I won't let you die."

Kuwei. Back at the treasury Matthias had said, He’s one of us. She liked that word. Us. A word without divisions or borders. It seemed full of hope. She flopped back down, and her whole body rebelled. Her clothes were crushed glass.

"I would have killed every one of the drüskelle." Matthias looked into her green eyes, "We all carry our sins, Nina. I need you to live so I can atone for mine."

"You can do that without me, you know." He buried his head in his hands shaking his head, "I don’t want to."

"Matthias," she said, running her fingers through the close crop of his hair. It hurt.