𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈

Chapter 22: Awake

Chapter 22: Awake.

——♤——

In the cramped little surgeon’s cabin, Nina tried to put Inej’s body back together with Zaria's, but she hadn’t been trained for this type of work.

Speaking of Zaria's wound, Nina surprisingly managed to heal her face but there was still an angry scar left across her face, Kaz Brekker seemed to come once in a while to visit his Wraith for a while but suddenly stopped.

Nina thought of the look on his face when he’d set Inej down on the table. He was the same Kaz everyone knew, cold, rude, impossible, and burning in rage but when he set Zaria on the table, beneath all that anger, she thought she’d seen something else, too. Or maybe she was just a romantic.

Inej was the first to wake up, everything was spinning, she woke up in a bed (surprisingly) while Zaria slept unmoving on the table, and Jesper on the other hand almost cried.
He was by Zaria's side blaming himself silently and won't stop asking Nina if she will be alright, poor Heartrender almost punched him, and chased him out so he could let them rest and stop talking.

Wylan hated seeing Zaria so pale and covered in blood, she was always smiling and clean and wearing fabulous clothes and jewelry but now, she was unconscious on the table, Wylan thinks that Jesper will lose his mind in worry.

Jesper felt ready to throw himself overboard just for a change in routine. Six more days. Six more days on this sickening boat while his best friend, his family, was trying to grip life in her hand and not die.

Worry ate him alive and he found himself thinking that it was his fault she's not awake, he missed her voice, he missed her. He needs his sister or else he will hurl himself off this Ferolind.

Jesper checked on Inej and Zaria every morning and every night. The idea that the ambush on the docks might simply be the end of them had shaken him. 

Yet, he had prayed to the saints for either of them to wake up, for the ocean not to swallow them, and for the heist to go as planned.

Even Matthias was shocked to see her like that, he was actually confused as to why she was all bloody and in the arms of demjin, there is no way this demon-like teenager picked her up.

But one morning, the sharpshooter arrived to find the Suli beauty sitting up, clothed in breeches, quilted vest, and hooded tunic with Nina struggling to get Inej's feet into her strange rubber-soled slippers.

And Jesper almost cried with joy as he listened to Nina and Inej but was startled when she took Nina’s face between her hands and said, "Thank you for keeping me in this world when fate seemed determined to drag me to the next. I owe you a life debt."

And Nina blushed deeply. “I was teasing, Inej.” She paused. “I think we’ve both had enough of debts." Then they started talking about waffles, Jesper turned towards Zaria who was still asleep, chest rising and falling as quiet snorts left her.