𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

Chapter 27: Oh, oh, I'm falling in love

——♤——

The pages were full of ordinary sermons, but the ornate back cover hid two lenses that acted as a long glass, she stared at the thing before handing it to Inej 

"Clever," Inej remarked as she peered through, Zaria nodded in agreement at Inej's statement and looked around her eyes catching a wagon.

she followed the wagon tilting her head to get a better look, with a clenched jaw she twirled the ring between her fingers, chewing her lip, a move that everyone loved.

"Four guards," noted Inej just like Matthias has said, two were stationed on each side of the gatehouse, and one of them was chatting with the driver of the prison wagon, who handed him a packet of documents. 

"They’re the first line of defense," said Matthias watching the guards, "They’ll check paperwork and confirm identities, flag anyone they think requires closer scrutiny. By this time tomorrow, the line going through the gates will be full of Hringkälla guests and backed up all the way to the gorge."

Zaria had a wide wicked grin by now, "By then we’ll be inside," she and Kaz spoke in unison and both looked at one another with cocked eyebrows, Zaria's lips twitched at them speaking at the same time.

Inej looked between them trying to hide her grin and shook her head at the two, Zaria caught her eyes and immediately looked away.

"Saints," Inej said as the door swung open. Ten prisoners were seated along benches that ran the wagon’s length, their wrists and feet shackled, black sacks over their heads.

Zaria's breath hitched, and the whole world started spinning as the feeling of metal digging into her skin came back, she lifted her sleeve and started scratching her skin.

Kaz's eyes landed on her, he was unfazed by the shackles, he was a criminal after all, and he was more worried about her.

"Hooded, chained, and shackled?" said Jesper. "You’re sure we can’t go in as entertainers? I hear Wylan really kills it on the flute."

Jesper's eyes went to his best friend who sat frozen, eyes wide, and not once did she move, she was in fright as if the world just crushed her.

"We go in as we are," said Kaz, "as criminals." he said and Zaria was still dead in her spot, her chest going up and down in rapid breaths yet they were so quiet, "Absolutely not," she said shaking her head.

"shackled? really? I can't do this. give me any job and I will do it, just please don't do this, Kaz." she begged him still scratching her skin in pure frustration.

"You have to." she clenched her hands into fists and death glared at him, eyes burning with rage but she knew there was no other way, Nina reached for her hands, holding them in hers so she stops scratching the soft brown skin.