𝐗𝐋𝐕𝐈

Chapter 46: Scars like Jagged Truths

——♤——

Zaria and Kaz were reunited after a long time apart, 13  days, and as they caught each other's eyes, they began communicating with their own secret language of hand signs they discovered today.

Zaria signed that she was okay, but Kaz could see the worry in her eyes. He signed back, "Are you sure?" Zaria nodded, but Kaz wasn't convinced.

He signed again, "Tell me what's wrong." Zaria hesitated for a moment before finally signing back, "I'm worried for Inej, that's all." Kaz nodded ever so slightly, he was worried as well.

He knew he could count on Zaria to have his back, but the thought of Inej in danger kept him on edge.

"Guess what we saw on our way out of the Lid?" asked Nina, Jesper started digging through their food stores, "Two Shu warships sitting in the harbor," he replied.

She threw a hairpin at him in annoyance, "I was going to make them guess." she exclaimed earning a chuckle from Zaria who leaned against the wall rolling a coin between her fingers.

"yeah Jesper, she was going to make us guess." the raven-haired girl scolded the sharpshooter making Nina wiggle her eyebrows at Jesper.

 "shu?" asked Kuwei, returning to where he'd spread his notebooks over the table, Nina nodded, "yeah, cannons out, red flags flying," replied Zaria earning a frown from Matthias.

"you went to Ketterdam?" he asked making her nod, "yup, don't worry, no one saw me." she said shrugging innocently, Kaz watched her with that scowl of his, "why? you just woke up and you went to the place where you could get killed-"

she cut him off, "Kaz, I'm here for a year already, I was careful and I already know what Ketterdam is like by heart, I'm fine." she reassured shooting him a soft look.

He didn't reply instead ust massaged his temples, "I talked to Specht earlier," said Kaz, "The embassies are full up with diplomats and soldiers. Zemeni, Kaelish, Ravkan."

Great. The Zemeni are here and if they see her they will notice her immediately, everyone knows her in Novyi Zem, and if the Ravkans see her then...a soldier who probably knows her sister will tell her everything.

Zaria could feel the tension rising in the room as Kaz spoke. She knew that the presence of the Zemeni and Ravkan diplomats and soldiers could complicate things for them.

"You think they know about Kuwei?" Jesper asked, "I think they know about parem," replied Kaz, and Zaria swore that as soon as he uttered the name of the drug, a shiver ran down her spine and she felt hot, her blood burning.