Chapter 5 - Going to Charleston

Third person pov

  Later at 8 in the evening, after helping his mother in washing the dishes and brushing his teeth, Kevin was at his bedroom with Wesley and Maccoy. Kevin was doing his daily homework while Wesley was playing a live action game and Maccoy was taking notes about the book he was currently reading.

"So, what are you going to do in Charleston, Kevin?" Maccoy asked Kevin.

"Oh, um," answered Kevin back positively, "I'm going to buy some stationery at a mall."
"Again?" Wesley responded back, as if he knew about Kevin's habit of buying stationery.

"I remembered they're having a sale on stationery," Kevin reasoned his plan, "so I wanted to buy them before it ended. But don't worry, I'll pay."
"We know that you had a habit of buying stationery like our late grandfather," Maccoy commented in response, "but please, don't go overboard, okay?"
"Okay!" Kevin responded back happily.

Later, at 9 o'clock, Kevin put aside his studying materials, and went on to journal about his day, opening his A5-sized, black and blue, lined notebook with an elastic band and starting his journal entry by writing the words, "On July 7, 2099...." He then continued writing about his day in every detail in black, blue, and green inks and pencils, before putting the finishing touches with doodles made of pencil and ink. He had a habit of writing in a journal at a young age.

The next day, the entire family dressed up in their outdoor clothes and rode in Estevan's car towards Charleston. Along the way, they stopped at McDonald's to eat a light breakfast. And as they eat and drink, Estevan revealed to his family his plan at Charleston, "Everyone, we will pay Ron and Ken a visit and do some shopping. Is that okay?"
His family, including Maccoy and Wesley, then quickly agreed with him, with Kevin and Wesley being overjoyed with excitement and enthusiasm. Juan and Maria, however, are silent, not saying a single word. After some time, they paid for their meal and left the place, before continuing their trek towards Charleston. But that trip will change their lives, for the rest of their lives.

Along the way, they passed the time by listening to car radio, play games in their smartphones, and make jokes all the while Estevan was driving. Kevin was writing in his personal journal, which is consisted of a brown, A6-sized notebook with an elastic band and back pocket. Wesley was playing, again, Call of Duty using the mobile data his parents, who lived in Japan, paid for. Maccoy, however, did nothing to pass the time but to fall asleep for the whole drive. The drive took 2 hours to complete.