Chapter 64 - An Attempted Raid on Kaleb's Base

Third person POV

  The next day came, and the survivors and the infected soldiers went to their usual routine in survival. Kevin and Wesley are studying together at the base library with Juan and Maria while Ron and Kaleb, alongside Francis, Jane, Isaiah, and Matt are on patrol for the entire morning. Everything seems to be normal and standard for this state of the world.

  But, at 11:27 a.m., something came to the front gates of this village-like, fortified military base. Adam and his two squads of terrorists and paid mercenaries arrived there in their vehicles and with their weapons, and they pulled over in front of the main gates. Their number was 25. The infected soldiers who was guarding the front gates were alerted upon their arrival, and aimed their weapons at them. Adam and some of his men and allies then come out and faced them. Adam grabbed his megaphone from his seat in the vehicle and shot one of the guarding infected soldiers, mistaking him for a human, with his pistol.

Some of the survivors who were near those gates within the base then heard that shot and immediately went to see what is going on outside by peeking through the gate's small, narrow window.

Upon seeing that there are survivors inside, Adam then stand in front of the main gates and turned on his megaphone.

  "Listen up, survivors," he said to them boldly and loudly, "we know some of you killed our men, so we're here to seek revenge."

Upon hearing his words, one of survivors were sent to report this to Kaleb, who then immediately commanded his subordinate soldiers to gather at the front gates with some of the survivors.

His subordinates then spread the word via the base's PA system.

Despite having no source of power, the base's electricity was provided by a series of electric generators.

Kevin and his group heard this via the PA system at the library so they got alerted.

  "What is going on?" Maria asked.

  "Must be an attack," Wesley responded.

  "What?" Kevin replied back.

  "We must check it out," Matt said to them.

Isaiah, Jane, Matt, and Francis had just returned from their morning patrol duty an hour ago when that happened.

The rest agreed, and they all left their doing and rushed out of the library.

  But, when they are about to reach the main gates, they were blocked by some of the infected soldiers, who then told them to hide at the library and stay behind the lines because it's too dangerous.

  "What?" Francis responded to this.

  "Why?" Juan asked.

  "You kids are too young," one of the infected soldiers replied back.

  "Really?" Wesley retorted. "We're skilled!"

  "No, the terrorists are too strong for you," another infected soldier insisted. "All of you should go back to the library and do as we say."

He and his infected comrades then went to the front gates, leaving the kids behind the lines.

  "Man, that was unfair," Wesley harshly commented.

  "Come on, guys, let's just go back to the library and do as they say," Kevin said to them.

And so, disappointed that they couldn't join the resistance against Adam's men, they turned back and went back to the base library to hide.

  Shortly thereafter, Kaleb and most of his division came to the front gates and opened it, facing Adam and his two squads. Ray also came to the front gates with his sniper rifle and RPG.

  "What is going on here?" Kaleb asked one of the survivors who was already at the front gates.

  "These guys are here for revenge," the survivor, armed with a shotgun.

Kaleb then looked at Adam and said, "Who are you working for?"

  "For Rudiman, our leader," Adam responded back.

  "Rudiman, eh?" Ray replied.

  "Now, surrender and join us," Adam told them.

  "No way, you stupid bitch!" one of the survivors yelled back, before throwing an empty can at Adam.

Luckily, Kelly and Paloma are at the base library hiding.

  "Get lost, you fucking terrorist!" one of the infected soldiers. "This is what you get for your leader's unethical experiments of your crappy organization."

Kaleb and Ray knew this beforehand.

Adam was absolutely pissed off by their fierce resistance, and he responded with, "Oh, you're not gonna give in, motherfuckers? Then you chose the wrong way!"

He then turned to his two squads and commanded, "Everyone, fire!"

His two big squads then aimed their various guns and open fire at the survivors and infected soldiers.

But, before any bullets were fired, Kaleb and Ray immediately shut the metal, door-like gates, blocking their attacks.

  "Ram the door!" Adam told some of his men.

One of his drivers then started the engine and starts to ram the door repeatedly.

  Both the survivors and the infected soldiers then started to open fire from the bridge above the metal gates, and a full-on fight had started. Bullets are fired from both sides and rocket grenades and normal grenades are being thrown as well. Shouting became the major noise in the fight as Kevin and his group are hiding at the library trying to shake and ignore the sounds of the gunfight. Ray and Kaleb are now walking together to fend off the terrorists.

  Meanwhile, at the base library, Juan, Maria, and Paloma are terrified by it then, but Matt, Kelly, and Francis comforted them closely. Kevin, Jane, and Wesley became anxious and worried about their allies' chances of winning, with Kevin pacing back and forth repeatedly.