Chapter 21 - Wesley's Normal Day

Wesley's pov

  Later, Ray gave us dinner, which consists of packs of store-bought sandwiches, bags of chips, and some Japanese sushi, including bottles of mineral water. We then all accepted it, tear-opened the packs of sandwiches and bags of chips, and eat up while chatting to each other about the zombie outbreak and their days of surviving and planning on how to get out of the East Coast.

Ray then sat down and watched their chat.

Assuming that Ray haven't eaten yet, Wesley get an unopened pack of sandwiches, got up, and went to him. I then offered him the pack while asking, "Hey, Ray-san, wanna eat?"

Looking at me, Ray objected, "No thanks. I am still fine."

  "I see. Okay then." I then turned around and went back to the group and resumed eating.

  Later at 9 in the evening, after cleaning my weapons, I wrote about my first day of being out of my coma in my journal, while listening to a Japanese song in my smartphone. I loved journaling about my days, considering it as calming and a document for future historians. My journal entry was well-detailed and were memorized via memory. The colors of black, red, and blue are vibrant and my thoughts in English and Japanese are well-organized by color as well. After that, I wrote my question in the bottom of the page, hoping that I could answer it someday. I then capped my pens, closed my journal, turned off the lights, and went to bed.

  The next morning, at 6:44 a.m., I woke up, went to my desk, and journal about my morning and feelings after waking up, before going outside to check the surrounding areas for any zombie or intruder. When I saw that there is none, I went back to the lab to study Japanese and Tagalog. I was very lucky to bring those notebooks and study materials prior to our trip to Charleston. The reason why I did that is that I could study on the go. At my room, I studied diligently, writing notes about their grammar structures and vocabulary. And then ,suddenly, Francis came to my room holding a tray of fried eggs and sandwiches.

  "Good morning, Wesley," he greeted me positively.

Upon hearing that, I turned around and responded back, "Oh, good morning, Francis-kun."

Placing the tray on Wesley's bed, Francis said to me, "Here's your breakfast, I think."

  "Oh, thanks."

I then resumed studying.

  "What are you doing?" Francis asked me in semi-confusion.

  "Studying, why?" I answered back.

  "Seriously? During a zombie outbreak? Why would you do that?"

  "Well, I hoped that, once I got back to Japan, I would only pass the exams at my school."

  "Oh, that's why. So, what are you studying now?"

  "Japanese and Tagalog."

  "Wow, those languages must be tough for you."

  "Yes, it is, but it'll be easier if you combine it with online learning."

  "Do you watch educational videos as well?"

  "Yes, I do, instead of attending cram school in Japan."

  "Wow, that was new and radical of you."

I then turned around and smiled. "Yes, I am."

  Later, at 9:09 a.m., after breakfast, me, Ray, Francis, and 4 other survivors, armed with various weapons, are scouting out at the surrounding forests for supplies and other survivors. I was reading his favorite manga while walking, but I was always careful on what I was stepping on.

  "Why are you reading while walking?" Francis asked. "You might be distracted."

  "It's alright," I replied back. "I had good hearing."

  "Okay, that make sense."

Then, one of the survivors, a girl named Rose Lawrence, then said to me, "Wesley is your name, right?"

  "Yes, that's my name," I responded back. "Did you hear it last night?"

  "Yes, I did."

  "Is it true that you are in a coma for a month?"

  "Yeah, I was. I got shot by Ray-san with a sniper rifle."

The rest of the group, except for Ray, then got shocked by my statement.

  "That was brutal."

  "How a zombie would wield such a weapon?"

I then shrugged. "I don't know. I'm asking that question as well."

This calms the group down.

  "And also," I asked a question, "do you know that Ray-san is a zombie?"

  "Yes," Rose responded back. "We already know that, but we saw that he wasn't attacking us anymore."

  "Yeah," Francis agreed with her. "I mean, he provided us with food, shelter, ammunition, and rations."

To that I thought, "Oh, I guessed I am not alone in this assumption."

  At 10:09 a.m., we had arrived at a town that turns out to be Southeast Pines, and we saw that it was abandoned. I was surprised, recognizing the signage and the buildings from memory.

  "Wait a minute," I said to them. "Guys, this is Southeast Pines."

  "Do you know this place?" asked Ray back.

  "Yes, me and my cousins were here more than a month ago. I think they are here as well."

  "Okay, let's meet up with them as well," Francis suggested.

The rest of the group then agreed with him and went into town to search for Kevin and the others.