Chapter 30 - A Speck of Sympathy

Kevin's pov

  Later before lunch time, with less pain, I started to explore around the base in order to "document" what they look like for my imaginary world of Matsu. Juan, Maria, and Ron are with me so we can walk together as a family, even though our parents weren't here for us.

  "I hoped they'll be fine," I thought in my mind in worry about them.

I luckily brought my katana with me just in case any attack would inflict on us. Along the way, we saw many survivors, just like us, doing various things like making weapons, gathering food and supplies, and cleaning weapons. Most of the zombified soldiers are with them.

  "Man, I didn't know many survivors came here," I thought again in my mind, "and called this place home? I'm not sure about that. But still, I can't believe those zombified soldiers are working alongside them." I was skeptical at the last part of my first sentence."

  Not long after, we arrived at the main headquarters because Ron wanted to meet up with Kaleb, the one who shot me almost to death more than 5 months ago. He explained to me about his current state as an isolated infected person who had put a blindfold on his eyes. I was shocked to hear that, and I made a conclusion that he, alongside other zombified soldiers, are victims of the zombie virus. Ron and my other siblings agreed with me without a question, even though Juan and Maria are a bit young to understand those words. After all, I did teach them some words that should be learned in middle and high schools. I just like teaching, that's all, even I had no intention of becoming a teacher in the future. Wesley-senpai was right; I am a mystery and my future is a mystery.

  2 minutes later, we arrived at Kaleb's office, and Ron opened the door for me, which I entered in and stepped into the dark room with closed windows. So much so, I pulled out my smartphone and turned on its flashlight function, giving me light. Then, I looked at Kaleb, who was slumping against the wall while being blindfolded.

He then spoke, "Who's there?"

  "It's me, Kaleb-san," I responded back regularly and normally, "the kid whom you shot to death."

  "What? You had survived?" Kaleb replied back with a question.

  "Yes, I did."

  "I see. Look, I'm sorry for what I did to you."

  "It's alright. It's in the past now, so you don't have to be haunted by it then."

  "But, I am infected. I'm not sure what I am going to do."

I was concerned about his well-being, so I got closer to him, and responded with a suggestion, "How about helping out just for a bit? I heard that would make you a bit happier and more positive."

  "Yeah, I agreed with my younger brother," Ron agreed with me. "I mean, you should do something good than shutting the door and do absolutely nothing."

  "Yes, stop doing this," Juan agreed with his eldest brother. Maria was with Juan as well.

Kaleb pondered and think about this at first, but I, as Toshi, added, "How about this, Kaleb-san? How about using your weapons for good instead? You're a soldier, right?"

  "Yes?" Kaleb responded back.

  "Good, then continue doing what you always do," I, back as Kevin, replied back with encouragement and motivation. "Don't deteriorate your accuracy and precision. It will only make you weaker."

Realizing this, Kaleb stood up, and took off his blindfold, revealing his blood red eyes. I was delighted to see that he had climbed out of the darkness thanks partially to my advice.

Then, Kaleb looked at me and said with a slight smile, "Thanks, kid."

  "You're welcome," I responded with a smile. "Any time."

Ron, Juan, and Maria are amazed with positivity to see this.

  Later at lunch time, we eat together on the floor at Kaleb's office. Our meal was simple, but very nutritious. While eating, I shared to Kaleb about my dual cultural background, early childhood, and some of the trauma I endured when I was young. Ron also confirmed this for me. Kaleb was very attentive at my stories of my childhood and trauma.

  "Wow, I didn't know you suffered so hard," he commented. "And you're saying that you're mostly afraid of technologies like drones and modern weapons?"

  "Yes," I honestly replied back, "and for writing things down, I stick to the old-fashion pen and paper instead of digital tools, and I loved stationery like my parents and grandparents do. But I do use a phone and a laptop for other purposes, and I used a machine gun for survival in this zombie virus outbreak."

  "I see. So you're both a traditionalist and a modernist?"

  "Yes, I make sure they are both balanced."

  "Wow, that was sort of a new concept."

I smiled in response, and I continued, "Also, I got that machine gun from a terrorist whom I had killed."

  "Why would you do that?" Kaleb asked back.

  "Because he and his comrade are going to execute two of your soldiers back at Charleston."

  "I heard that from John and Tim. You and your brother saved them. Thank you so much."

  "Yeah, you're welcome. I just did what is best as an answer to a situation like that."

  "Do you realize what you're doing is not good?"

  "I do, but since they will still execute those soldiers of yours, I had no choice but to do it."

  "I see."

  "Also. As for the katana I have, my older brother found that and gave it to me. I'm more of a traditionalist in terms of weapons. The same was true to my daggers. I did throw one of them at a shooting terrorist while we were trying to get out of the city."

  "Wow, how is your accuracy was so precise? You're so young."

  "I watched anime a lot, especially action, adventure, and isekai ones."

  "Oh, I heard that from Tim and John. You're an otaku, right?"

  "Yeah, I am. My maternal grandparents are otakus as well."

  "That's why."

  "That's true."