Chapter 55 - Ray's pov

Ray's POV

  I really hated him. That jerk Kaleb, he's the reason why mom and dad died, whom I loved so much. They lost their lives because of him and his existence. I wished he was never born.

I thought those words while sitting down on my bed.

Then, Wesley, Francis, and Matt came.

  "Where have you guys been?" I asked them.

  "Oh, we have a church service," Francis responded back.

  "Church service? Are you guys religious or something?"

  "I'm not," Matt replied.

  "We are," Wesley and Francis simultaneously added.

  "I'm a moderate Methodist," Wesley responded.

  "I'm a Baptist," Francis added.

Wesley was stunned to hear that, and he responded, "What? Our beloved eldest cousin is a Baptist, too, you know."

  "Wow, now he and I had something in common," Francis remarked.

He and Wesley then laughed about it as Matt smiled at them.

I looked at them with a slight smile on my face.

  "So, who's the one who preached at the pulpit?" I asked interrupting their laughter.

  "Oh, it was Kevin," Francis replied back.

  "Woah, he's young," I commented.

  "Yeah, but for him," Wesley explained in response, "age doesn't matter, as long as he knew the Bible well."

  "I see then."

  "And plus, there is no pulpit," Wesley responded.

  "I just said that to refer to a place of preaching," I replied back.

  "Yeah, but still."

After that, the three of them put their Bibles on the table and rest up until lunch time because they said that the church service was short and simple.

Well, I respected their religious affiliation despite the fact that I am an atheist, alongside that jerk Kaleb.

Or, I shouldn't call him a jerk. I don't know which one is better.

  Later, at lunch time, as Wesley and his two friends are eating and drinking while chatting, I was staring down at my food, which was a sandwich with ham and cheddar cheese, still thinking about these dark thoughts.

  "Maybe I should end my useless grudge on Kaleb," I thought. "I mean, mom and dad are already dead, so, it didn't matter at all."

Then, Wesley asked me, "Are you okay?"
I then snapped out of it and looked at him and responded, "Oh! Yes, I am. Sorry about that."

  "You should eat up," Wesley said to me.

  "Y-Yeah," I stammered, before taking a bite of my delicious sandwich.

I should stop thinking about these things as well.

  Shortly after lunch, I decided to go on a patrol duty with Wesley, Francis, and Kevin so I would have something to do instead of going on isolation mode all day. Kevin is cool that he can preach in such a young age; but also, he is a combatant. I heard from Wesley that he is an Eastern Reformed Christian, which was different from typical Reformed Christians. I also get to know more about him, including his ethnicity and cultural background, which are amazing.

Then, while trekking through the forests, Kevin suddenly said to me, "You shouldn't have a grudge with someone."

I then looked at him in paying attention.

  "I mean, what did Kaleb do to deserve that?" Kevin continued.

I couldn't answer that due to conflicts within myself, and instead focusing on how cool he was with a katana, not just a modern gun.

  "Well, I truly understand," Kevin continued on. "I understand your feelings."

  "You do?" I asked back.

  "Yes."

  "I see."

We continued patrolling around killing zombies until 4 in the afternoon.