Homecoming Sorrow

The train was a peculiar little thing. A billion emotions and a billion different final destinations all swimming around in passengers.

Aveline always took notice of two things in particular during train rides home

Number one: Well some students were full of cheer, practically bursting with anticipation to go home for the holidays, others seemed as if  they wished the train ride could go on forever. That they'd be trapped in a worm hole somehow, and never reach their final destination. These students often stared out the window in deep thought, occasionally chatting with friends to make it seem as if everything was okay.

And number two— the students that were happy didn't notice the ones who weren't. For they often couldn't possibly picture how it felt to not be happy to be returning home.

Sirius and Aveline had always been in the number one category, though as she watched Sirius snicker and giggle with James, she realized this year things were different. For where she was going back to Rosier mansion, this year Sirius was going to the Potters.

And merlin, was it nice to see the boy finally happy.

"Mum makes the best sugar cookies," James was telling them, his face giddy already. "Sirius your gonna gain ten pounds by the time she's done with you."

Sirius patted his stomach happily, wiggling his eyebrows like a goofball. So carefree, as if he was trying to live all the happiness that had been taking from him so young.

"And you know, if anyone wanted to swing by or even stay at my place for the holidays, Mum always make extra," James spoke out loud, though talking
to no one in particular, everyone knew it was directed at Aveline.

The girl sat in the corner, her posture unusually straight and hands in her lap as she looked at the country side rolling by. The only response James got was a slight raise of her eyebrow, though she did send the boy a gentle smile.

No matter how hard Aveline wished the train ride could last forever, before she knew it the train was screeching to a halt, the familiar sight of the platform sending shivers down her spine.

James helped her get her luggage down, the whole time trying to catch her eye, and ever so slowly, the group made their way off the train.

She had barely even noticed, but somewhere along the way Sirius had grabbed her hand, and was squeezing it so tight as if he was scared she'd disappear.

And before Aveline knew it, it was time to her goodbyes.

"You lot have a happy christmas!" She said cheerfully, pulling Peter into a hug first. She ruffled his hair as she usually did, causing him to roll his eyes.

She moved onto James next, who seemed as if he was half ready to just drag her with him. Grudgingly letting go as he sent her a look of sympathy.
James Potter hated not being in control. He hated that his friend might be in danger and there was nothing he could do to stop it.

Next was Sirius, who practically crushed her ribs, a slight tremble in his body as he did.

"Please Aveline just come with us," he pleaded, trying to her to make a final decision.

"Happy christmas Sirius," she told him, patting him on the back as she pryed herself away.

And last but certainly not least, Remus, who wrapped his arms around her tighly, as if was the most natural thing in the world. He hugged her right to his chest, slightly swaying back and fourth as they both squeezed their eyes shut.

He was so warm, so gentle and in that moment all Aveline wanted was to be in his arms forever.

When she pulled away he gently reached out, pulling her by the waist and placing a small kiss on her forehead.