ummm stfu

"It's okay, really Moony," Aveline said lightly, squeezing the boys hand.

Remus was laying on his bed, a night after the full moon, a sweaty tired mess half asleep. He could barely keep his eyes open, let alone converse, yet he was supposed to start prefect rounds with Aveline half an hour ago. When he didn't meet her at their usual spot, she practically burst through the walls trying to make sure he was okay.

"Can you ask James to go with you?" Remus asked, feeling horribly guilty he was about to ditch her to wander the halls at night.

She smiled lightly, reaching out and brushing a piece of hair off his forehead. Her touch was warm and gentle, the same way summer air is when it touch's your skin.

"It'll be fine. Besides James is scheduled with Lily tonight, and merlin knows those two need to talk."

He so badly wanted to interject, to haul himself up from his bed and to just go, but his bones felt tired, and his bed was pulling him in. He didn't even hear Aveline leave the room, and he especially didn't feel the soft kiss she placed on his forehead.
______________

How Aveline wished walls could talk. For she approximately 3 more hours of entertaining herself by walking up and down the halls, nothing but her own mind to keep her entertained.

Which for someone like Aveline— a girl with an imagination that was more like a universe, ever expanding and growing— it wasn't hard. It was mere so she always ended up wandering into areas of her brain she didn't want to think about. Like everything wrong with humanity, or how she wished her family was normal or how worried she was for her brother or how worried she was about the war Or— perhaps the most entertaining option— she couldn't stop imagining the way a certain Brunette boys hands felt gripping her hips.

She was in one of the fifth floor wings, scuffing her dirty converse on the ground as the moonlight began to seep in. It was a quiet night, the kind of stillness that only darkness brought. Her wand lit in front of her, surveying around the hall for anyone up to mischief.

There are some things when your walking the hallway alone, you never want to hear.

Perhaps another voice, or something crawling or the sound of a growl.

Or, in the case of Aveline, the blood curling scream that hit her ears, making her nearly drop her wand out of the sheer magnitude of it. For a moment she froze, body jumping into survival mode as she tried to decipher which way the scream was coming from.

And much to her horror it was most certainly in front of her, behind the door at the very end of the hall with a light peaking behind.

Perhaps it was stupid, and ultimately very Gryffindor of her, but without thinking the girl raised her wand, breaking into a run towards the room.
_______________

James was leaning against the wall, the usual spot he met Lily during the evening. His wand in his left hand, twirling it in a fancy pattern as he snapped his gum in his mouth.

James had a way of always looking extremely put together. Even late at night when exhaustion and ware of the day usually made people look half dead, there was James standing in his uniform looking as crisp and clean as ever. Skin glowing, and not a single piece of his hair out of place.

"Lily," he greeted upon seeing the girl walk towards him.

He gave her a nod, it was awful formal and cold compared to their usual friendly and loving greeting, sending a slight painful stab into her chest.