In the Sun we trust

The spring began to merge into summer. The air feeling warm against their bones, sweaters being disregarded as the heat began to fill the halls.

The marauders and the Gryffindor girls were sprawled out outside, trying to study and enjoy a bit of sun in the process. The only people actually being productive were Lily and Remus, who sat next to eachother quizzing eachother on the various Goblin revolutions.

Peter had been attempting to be productive sitting next to Mary, though anyone could tell he was spending more time staring at her shiny brown hair then actually staring at the words on his page. Eventually the duo gave up on studying, and instead were playing a game of closed eye every flavour bean.

And up above, in the thick branches of the tree that was providing everyone else shade, Marlene, Aveline', Sirius and James were climbing from branch to branch. Giggling to eachother as they swung from branches, climbing higher and higher and leaving their friends down below.

It felt exhilarating, as if in this moment where her bones ached from climbing and body was sweating from the heat, she could do anything. They weren't merely students in that moment, they were gods or adventurers from another world, climbing through the thick branches as they smiled till their little cheeks hurt.

"Last one to the top is a worm eating wanker!"
James declared.

They were halfway up the tree at this point, and at once they all started rushing. It was much easier for the girls to climb, being smaller and not having to worry as much about the branches breaking.

"Oy prongsy what you doing so far down below then?" Aveline mocked from the branch she was sitting on, calling down to to James who was much farther down.

He flipped her off with a grin, attempting to climb even faster.

Marlene was next to her, the two girls giggling to themselves as they watched the boys struggle.

"Race ya to the top Rosier?" Marlene asked, a glint in her eyes.

Aveline adored Marlene. She was electric and most of all, fun. There was no peaceful sitting around when Marlene Mckinnon was around. She was always down for something stupid or something exhilarating, two things Aveline thrived on.

"Oh your on Mckinnon," she grinned back.

The two girls went flying up the tree, hushed breath and leaves falling as they rushed. The boys were farther and farther down below them, till they lost in the thick foliage on the tree.

Eventually Aveline reached the top, and looked over to see Marlene right next to her a devilish grin on her face.

Aveline' was about to say something cheeky to Marlene, when the peak of light from the leaves caught her eye. It seemed to catch Marlene's too, and the two girls hoped onto another branch, gasping as they broke through the leaves.

"Merlin," Marlene gasped, her eyes going wide.

Merlin indeed. It was stunning up there, up behind the grounds were they could see the lake sprawling out infront of them, the sun shining against it. They are so high if they would've fallen someone probably would've broken their neck, though never had they felt more alive.

There was something so utterly amazing about being young and free. The type of free were your fingers could be stained with dirt and knees muddy from a climb and society wouldn't yet drawl on you to act your age.

Oftentimes as girls it was easy to feel like the freedom and the sillness of youth wasn't their's to take. That from a very young age girls are taught to behave, to be small, not draw attention to themselves, well boys are always free to do the opposite.