Flying Doves

The spring holiday flew by the way holidays always do— the feeling as if you blinked and suddenly it was the end of the week and it was time to return home.

The Lupin family plus Aveline stood on platform 9 3/4 in front of the billowing train engine, bags in hand . Hope had decided to make the journey this time, the woman bundles up in a warm jacket despite the fact it was spring.

A melancholy seemed to be fused the particles in the air around them. Weighing down on their shoulders so deeply the explanation was nothing that could be understood by the mere human brain.

Remus clutched to his mother so tightly. Tighter then has ever squeezed her, as if was trying to hold her soul down from the sickness that was overtaking her.     

Intuition is something even wizards couldn't explain. The magical phenomenon of knowing what the brain couldn't possibly know.

And as Remus Lupin stood on platform 9 3/4 clutching onto the woman who raised him and gave him life,  his heart knew that this was more than the average goodbye of a parent sending their child back to school.

This moment would forever be ingrained in Remus's mind for the rest of his life, though he didn't know that yet. It would become one of those meteorites that played with the vivid detail of a movie in his mind — a moment he would wish he could go back to time and time again.

The sound of her voice, the feeling of her skin touching his cheek, the smell of the lotion she always wore so potent on her skin.

Part of him didn't want to go back to Hogwarts.  Part of him just wanted to go back to Lupin cottage and spend as much possible time as he could asking his mother questions and listening to her careful breathe. He could finish school later, when the weight of the world didn't seem so heavy and his family wasn't falling apart by the seams.

Time— Remus Lupin hates fucking time. And the pain it brought and the agony it inflicted.

"Mum I love you," he choked, his voice breaking. "So so so much."

She patted him on the back gently, her eyes swimming with a love so deep it could only exist in mothers.

"I know you do my boy. Trust me that I know," she spoke gently, reaching out to clear a tear from, his face. "You know Remus, you were my greatest gift in this lifetime, and even if I had done nothing else with my life, being your mother would have been enough. I love you my boy, always always always."

At this point Remus wasn't even trying to hide his tears. Clutching his mothers hand as if it was his lifeline.

"Don't talk like that," the boy blubbered.

"Like what?" Hope answered delicately.

"L-like you're already gone."

"Oh my love," Hope sighed, gently pulling the boy back into her arms and whipping a tear from his face. "No matter what happens to me, I'll never be gone. That I can promise you.  Now enough of this sadness, you go get on that train and you make your mother proud, okay?"

Remus nodded, though it didn't seem all that convincing. "What if I stay, and finish school in the fall, next year—"

Hope cut him off with a shake of her head and a gentle look in her eyes.

"My sweet boy you have a beautiful life to live infront of you. Graduation, a great group of friends—," her eyes darted to Aveline with a smile, "Aveline. You can't stop living on my account. You get on that train and you promise me, no matter what happens you finish school and you stick with that lovely group of friends of yours. Do you understand ?"