Guilt always perseveres

Guilt.

Guilt followed Aveline like she was a rat and it was the plague. Always stuck to her skin to the point it made her itch. Always spreading from her fingertips like it was a sick disease.

Guilt for letting her friends get so attached to her. Guilt that she wanted to spend as much time with as possible. Guilt that she couldn't force herself out of their lives to protect their hearts.

"Hey Ave want pepper on your pasta?" James called from the kitchen, rag over his shoulder.

He had never looked more like fleamont potter than lately — his hair growing more scruffy, the shadow of a beard finally framing his baby face. This realization came with a burn down Aveline's throat, but nonetheless she cherished it.

Though the Potters were in hiding, hiding currently meant bouncing around to different peoples houses, taking extra care with visitors and never leaving their wanda unattended.

Currently they were staying in Sirius and Aveline's little apartment for the week.

With a new born baby and four adults living in one tiny space, it was most definitely crowded, though Aveline didn't mind.

Every cry that kept her up at night, every loud thud of Lily in the kitchen at midnight feeding little Harry, reminded Aveline at least she was alive.

"That would be great, thanks James," she replied, flipping through the pages of the daily prophet.

Dumbledore and her had agreed to keep their conversation a secret. It was best if no one knew.

The front door creaked open, revealing Remus covered in dirt and grime, no doubt returning from an order mission he wasn't allowed to tell anyone about.

The moment he saw Aveline he crossed the room in stride, relief flooding through his body as he placed a kiss on her forehead.

As his skin met hers, the usual lightness that flooded Aveline was replaced with that guilt— that harboured against her chest like a bird trying to break free of a cage.

Their eyes met.

His full of love, hers full of regret and pain.

Remus knew Aveline better than the back of his hand. He could tell by the micro expression on her face if she was happy, sad or angry. It took him no more then a couple seconds for his eyebrows to furrow and crease in worry.

"You alright love?" he asked gently, reaching out to grab her hand.

She jumped up, pretending to stretch to avoid his touch.

"Of course of course," she smiled, "I should go help James in the kitchen though!"

Remus tilted his head in confusion, as he watched her scurry towards the kitchen.

The second Aveline opened the kitchen door she took a breath of relief, though the more she breathed the more guilty she felt.

"Thought you could use some help in the kitchen," she muttered to James.

The young man gave her a confused look. "No, I'm alright. Almost done really. Why don't you go visit with Remus?"

"Well you just look like you need help, that's all," Aveline repeated, scratching her palms as they heated up.

"No really, I'm good. Go talk to your fiancé, you haven't seen him all day I'm sure he misses you—"

" Merlin James!" Aveline exclaimed, louder than she intended too. "Why can't you just accept help when it's offered?"