What can possibly tear us apart

It went against everything in James Potter's DNA to be angry with his friends. Even when Sirius would throw his Sirius fits, yelling and screaming and sometimes even calling James names, he never got angry. Or when Remus would get snippy and annoyed, James would always do his best to keep his mouth shut.

Sometimes people had emotions they couldn't control, and all James Potter wanted to do was make his friends feel comfortable with it. To know no matter what they couldn't control, James was right there. A shoulder to lean on, someone to cry too.

His friends got angry with eachother. They snapped and snarled, and all James ever did was try to keep the peace.

"I'm just saying!" Peter exclaimed, holding up his palms flat in defence. "No need to come after me for it! It's just a bit odd that's all."

Somewhere along the way when Aveline wasn't around to hear, Peter had brought up he found it rather odd Aveline consistently went back to the manor and that she just happened to be engaged to Theodore.

"The stuff with her Mum during christmas was weird too," Peter continued, despite none of the other boys wanting part in the conversation. "She could be closer with them then we think."

"Peter you need to drop it," James warned him as he unpacked his trunk. He could sense both Remus and Sirius getting more tense the more the boy spoke

"Just like you guys really," Peter scoffed, shaking his head as if couldn't believe it. "None of you listen to anything I say! Even if it makes perfect sense."

This was very unlike Peter, though the boy had seen more on edge ever since the Spring Fling incident. He refused to walk down the halls without someone with him, and he had gotten very jumpy. Constantly checking over his shoulder and around corners.

"Your just being paranoid," James gritted, trying to keep his cool.

The last thing he needed was Remus or Sirius snapping. He glanced at them out of the corner of his eye. Remus was standing in the middle of the room with his arms crossed, and Sirius was next to him, leaning on a bed post. Both boys were waiting for Peter to say something more, he could tell.

"You know James, if this was Remus or Sirius bringing it up, you wouldn't be so—"

"That's cause neither of us are stupid enough to suggest something like that," Sirius snarled before he could help it.

And crash, the perfect layer of peace James has been trying to maintain was broken.

"Don't call be stupid! I'm sick and tired of you guys treating me like I'm dumb!" Peter exclaimed.

James knew this wasn't him. He was scared, broken, terrified that one day he would be caught alone by the silver masks. He saw the way Peter had frozen up during the battle, ducking under a table and letting Aveline battle 3 of them at once. The worst part is he couldn't even blame Peter, these were terrifying times and everyone reacted differently.

"The don't say dumb shit," Remus deadpanned as if it was obvious, the werewolf gritting his jaw.

"Remus enough," James cut in, sending him a warning glance. "We all need to calm down. I get it's scary, but that doesn't mean we need to take eachothers throats out."

"I'm the only one who's watching our backs!" Peter continued, his voice shrill and in the verge of tears as if he had been holding it in all this time. "She's a Rosier. Her brother is Evan fucking Rosier—"

"And I'm a Black," Sirius gritted, his face turning red as he was slowly loosing control over any emotion he had. "You don't know shit about what it's like."