Smacks

Tension in the school was growing everyday, as if it was a balloon with air being constantly pumped into it. It wasn't an uncommon sight to come across fights in hallways— always green and silver ties involved.

Aveline could see the tole it was taking on her muggle born and halfblood friends specifically. They would look at the morning paper eager with worry that they'd see their families dead on the front. Even Remus seemed more on edge then usual with his mother being a muggle. As attacks on muggles, and muggle born families were increasing by the day.
Almost always when a muggle born or halfblood student would be pulled from class, or would go running through the hallway crying after horrible news, a certain population of Slytherins would snicker, as if the whole situation amused them.

After Slughorn's little dinner party the Gryffindor's and Aveline were having more run ins with that particular group of snakes themselves. To the point where they no longer travelled the halls alone, always making sure they had someone with them.

As Head boy and Head Girl, Lily and James were being pulled in every which direction by the teachers to help out. Between Quidditch, her own prefect duties, and school work Aveline barely saw the boy. One of them was always doing something. 

It got to the point where the only time Aveline saw any of her friends really was during class. In which she actually had to do her work since every evening and every morning was filled with something.

It was a crisp Friday October evening, the type where the air begins to bite your nose and cheeks as winter begins to stir. The grounds a whirlwind of falling leaves and dead plants, the Hufflepuff Quidditch team finishing up their practice.

"Good job everyone!" Aveline called to her team.

So far the season was going fairly well. They had already played Ravenclaw and won. There next match was Gryffindor after Christmas break, which should be interesting.

As everyone wandered back into the change room Aveline was left to deal with trunk of balls and such. The girl lifting it up and bringing it to the Quidditch shed, her fingers cold against the metal clasps.

She could barely move them, the fingerless knot  gloves she had been wearing not doing shit. Even with the oversize Hufflepuff hoodie she wore to keep her warm for practice, she was still chilled to the bone. Her cheeks were a rosy red, the red spreading to the top of her nose. Her wild curls pulled back into a messy ponytail, that had been pulled with the weight of the quidditch winds— little hairs spilling off in every which direction.

The Quidditch shed was made out of wood that always seemed damp. A constant rotting smell to it, with dozens of little spider webs  and dusty boxes thrown around. There used to be a light, but it didn't work anymore. Aveline entering it as she dragged her box in behind her.

As she was putting everything back, she felt a hand on her shoulder. Never in her life, had Aveline reacted so quickly and so fast. Absolutely rounding on whoever touched her with a instant smack across the face. Kneeing them straight in the stomach as they let out a groan.

It was so dark she couldn't see who it was, though as her eyes adjusted with the moonlight streaming in through the open door she caught sight of a very familiar head of brown hair, hunched over grabbing his stomach.

"Merlin— Remus?" she gasped in slight horror that she just decked him in the face. He was winded by her attack, pulling himself up as he stretched his back.

"What was that for?!"

"You shouldn't sneak up on someone in a dark shed! Especially me!" she answered, her breath still heavy from the panic thinking that it was actually someone coming to attack her.

The moonlight was shining in at the perfect angle it illuminated half the girls face. Making her look as if she was some sort of painting brought to life, Remus thought. His eyes taking in the way her pale skin seemed to glow within, the little freckles dancing across her jaw looking perfectly placed.

He had to admit, there was something about a girl looking like a sweaty mess, that made his heart leap. Especially when that girl was Aveline Rosier with adorable rosy cheeks and wide blue eyes. Bundled up in her oversize hoodie, only her fingers poking through.

"James is in the hospital wing—"

"WHAT?!" Aveline screamed before Remus could continue.

She was the type of person to always assume  the worst. Her mind instantly spinning through all the horrible things that could've happened to James. Though based on Remus's calm state it couldn't have been that bad. In fact, the boy looked like he was two seconds away from laughing.

"It's nothing bad," Remus answered immediately, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his jeans. "Someone decided it would be funny to replace one of the pumkin juice jugs with a laughing potion at dinner. And uh— james drank the whole thing."

Aveline hand hit her mouth, not because she was shocked because now she was trying to hold back a smile.

"Well he's okay right?" Aveline asked.

Remus nodded, bitting his lip to hold back a smile. "He won't confess, but I reckon it was Pete who did it. Madam Pomfrey said it'll take all night to wear off. He's acting like a bloody fool though."

Aveline was a little too eager to see James messed out of his mind on laughing potion. So, not even bothering to go back to her dorm to change, she tagged along with Remus back to the wing. The two walking under the moonlight and the empty halls.

When they entered they saw James sitting in a bed in the very back. Chairs surronding him where Lily, Marlene, Mary, Sirius and Peter sat.

The boy was hunched over, wheezing with laughter in the way where you can barely get a breath in.

"Hey—" insert intense wheezing laughter , "Aveline."

He was giggling so much Aveline couldn't help but chuckle herself , trying to hide it behind her hand.

"Merlin do I—" James broke off wheezing so much his face looked red as if he about to pass out, "do I hate my fucking life."

"James!" Sirius said, drawing the boys attention. "Laugh if you think Sirius is the sexist person alive."

James broke off into a fit of intense giggles, his grin so wide as he rolled his eyes, unable to stop it.

Peter was standing by the edge of James bed, covering his face with his mouth with a guilty expression on his face. Aveline watched him closely, narrowing her eyes as she watched Peter's squeamish body language.

Logically she knew that Peter meant no harm by this little prank, that he most likely just wanted to make Head Boy James Potter the bunt of a couple laughs. It was the type of thing that truthfully any of the marauders would've done to eachother. Though it was something about the way Peter had shifty eyes, and the way that he wouldn't even confess that it was him that made the back of the hairs on Aveline's neck poke up.  Usually if they pranked eachother it was met with immediate laughs and confessions, the pranker proud of their work.

This was different though.

He seemed to take some sort amusement in watching James make a fool of himself. Not in the same way that Sirius was giggling, or the same way Remus was chuckling.

When he saw Aveline's eyes on him his face turned red, the boy letting out an awkward cough. For a minute she narrowed her eyes, watching as he watched James.

She knew that the war did horrible things to people— made people feel insane or even a little crazy And she cursed herself for thinking that Peter was doing anything more the just a simple prank.

So she merely shook her head, letting herself laugh along with her friends at James hilarious condition.